Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
MVP

Default Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi or Samsung?

I know everyone has his/her different taste for HD's, but I was wondering what is the most reliable 1tb SATA HD? Is there a site that has a database of what drive(s) are currently more reliable?

My faithful and old WD 500gb is on its way out to pasture. And I need a replacement. I've been reading reviews that the seagate 7200.11 firmwire is borked and so is the fix. And in other reviews I read the the WD green drives are unreliable.

Oddly enough I bought a Samsung 1tb a while back and so far so good. Dammit I just can't decide what manufacture to go with. I guess its really the luck of the draw.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old February 21, 2010, 04:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

flip a coin almost all of there failure rates are very close and i am pretty sure it around 4% at it's worst and as low as 2% on most google release hdd data - Google Search
Old February 21, 2010, 05:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When you are talking about one hard drive, the differences really are luck of the draw. Chances are VERY good that the hard drive you get, regardless of brand or model, will work for years.

For storage only I really like the WD greens as they are plenty fast, make no noise and and suck up very little juice. For anything else, I pick either what is cheapest (if budget is tight), go for the better warranty or SSD. Right now that means WD Blacks w/ their 5 yr warranty. Couple years ago it was a choice between: cheapest, Seagate (5yr warranty back then) or Raptors.

The newer Samsung's are very, very good and so too are the Hitachi's (though I did have a bad string of luck with the original 1TB Hitachi's a while back). Honestly, IF performance is a concern get either a Black or a Sammy....or go for a SSD. IF its going to be a data only drive ("D" drive) get a WD Green or a Sammy. You have had a good experience with the Sammy's and peace of mind IS important so I would lean towards the Sammy.

I wouldnt worry about brand X or Y or Z being "less than optimal" as all modern HDD's are fast, reliable and fairly energy efficient. Go for the cheapest or go with what you know to work. Either way the chances are good you will be happy with your purchase :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I've had the best luck with WD and Samsung drives.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nothing but Seagate for me.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've always had good experience with Western Digital drives, but the other posters are right in that most modern drives are pretty reliable. Not sure if Maxtor still makes internal drives, but the last one I had was quite loud when compared to my WD. Even so, that drive is still live and kicking.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:54 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Last Seagate I had failed. All the WDs I have are fine.

I would go with the WD Black drives, as they have the 5 year warranty and are pretty fast.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Last Seagate I had failed. All the WDs I have are fine.

I would go with the WD Black drives, as they have the 5 year warranty and are pretty fast.
Lemme guess last Seagate you had fail was the notorious .11 batch they ****** up on?
Old February 21, 2010, 10:01 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Lemme guess last Seagate you had fail was the notorious .11 batch they ****** up on?
Can't remember if it was a .11 batch. It was an early run of the 1TB drives, so it might have been.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2010, 10:06 AM

My System Specs

Buy whatever is cheapest. That is my philosophy.