Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi or Samsung? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/29105-western-digital-seagate-hitachi-samsung.html)

no_pulse February 20, 2010 10:58 PM

Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi or Samsung?

I know everyone has his/her different taste for HD's, but I was wondering what is the most reliable 1tb SATA HD? Is there a site that has a database of what drive(s) are currently more reliable?

My faithful and old WD 500gb is on its way out to pasture. And I need a replacement. I've been reading reviews that the seagate 7200.11 firmwire is borked and so is the fix. And in other reviews I read the the WD green drives are unreliable.

Oddly enough I bought a Samsung 1tb a while back and so far so good. Dammit I just can't decide what manufacture to go with. I guess its really the luck of the draw.

gingerbee February 21, 2010 04:55 AM

flip a coin almost all of there failure rates are very close and i am pretty sure it around 4% at it's worst and as low as 2% on most google release hdd data - Google Search

AkG February 21, 2010 05:06 AM

When you are talking about one hard drive, the differences really are luck of the draw. Chances are VERY good that the hard drive you get, regardless of brand or model, will work for years.

For storage only I really like the WD greens as they are plenty fast, make no noise and and suck up very little juice. For anything else, I pick either what is cheapest (if budget is tight), go for the better warranty or SSD. Right now that means WD Blacks w/ their 5 yr warranty. Couple years ago it was a choice between: cheapest, Seagate (5yr warranty back then) or Raptors.

The newer Samsung's are very, very good and so too are the Hitachi's (though I did have a bad string of luck with the original 1TB Hitachi's a while back). Honestly, IF performance is a concern get either a Black or a Sammy....or go for a SSD. IF its going to be a data only drive ("D" drive) get a WD Green or a Sammy. You have had a good experience with the Sammy's and peace of mind IS important so I would lean towards the Sammy.

I wouldnt worry about brand X or Y or Z being "less than optimal" as all modern HDD's are fast, reliable and fairly energy efficient. Go for the cheapest or go with what you know to work. Either way the chances are good you will be happy with your purchase :)

Zero82z February 21, 2010 08:59 AM

I've had the best luck with WD and Samsung drives.

enaberif February 21, 2010 09:06 AM

Nothing but Seagate for me.

mike.mgs4 February 21, 2010 09:20 AM

I've always had good experience with Western Digital drives, but the other posters are right in that most modern drives are pretty reliable. Not sure if Maxtor still makes internal drives, but the last one I had was quite loud when compared to my WD. Even so, that drive is still live and kicking.:punk:

chrisk February 21, 2010 09:54 AM

Last Seagate I had failed. All the WDs I have are fine.

I would go with the WD Black drives, as they have the 5 year warranty and are pretty fast.

enaberif February 21, 2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskwarren (Post 337090)
Last Seagate I had failed. All the WDs I have are fine.

I would go with the WD Black drives, as they have the 5 year warranty and are pretty fast.

Lemme guess last Seagate you had fail was the notorious .11 batch they ****** up on?

chrisk February 21, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 337092)
Lemme guess last Seagate you had fail was the notorious .11 batch they ****** up on?

Can't remember if it was a .11 batch. It was an early run of the 1TB drives, so it might have been.

lowfat February 21, 2010 10:06 AM

Buy whatever is cheapest. That is my philosophy.