Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2010, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Right now the Caviar Blacks are really good for the price. They're all about the same and I would say the main difference is the manufacturer's warranty.
Some Seagates come with 3 yrs and some WD ones come with 5 yrs :)
On a different note, raiding a couple of the Caviar Black Duo Proc ones will cut your loading times almost by half. It's the best way to upgrade your storage system short of a SSD.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
For interpreting SMART numerical data I only trust the manufacturer's diagnostic program, although I do run self-tests from Windows. SeaTools is actually capable of running self-tests on non-Seagate drives (tried a Samsung F1 and a WD Caviar Green EADS). I also ran some self-tests using SpeedFan, and it seems to work.

Last time I checked, the Ultimate Boot CD contains all of the HDD diagnostic tools one may need (works for me since I am running a Samsung and a Seagate in my desktop, and a WD in my laptop):
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

SpeedFan: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
SeaTools: | Seagate
I thought Ultimate Boot CD sounded and looked great! Everything you want all packaged and combined together. Very efficient and convenient. But, when I tried to get a diagnostic on my Samsung IDE/PATA laptop (2.5") HDD, I get an error that it's not supported. WTH? It's an OLD drive! It's PATA!!! It was totally discouraging. All it would take is adding the most recent HUTIL and making sure it worked (w/ the Ultimate Boot CD integration).

I had to download HUTIL from the Samsung support site. I'm using the .ISO version and running the utility. I cannot recommend Ultimate Boot CD.
Old February 27, 2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

When it comes down to best of the best it is ALWAYS Western Digital.
Old February 27, 2010, 10:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
When it comes down to best of the best it is ALWAYS Western Digital.
100% agree.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 1, 2010, 08:13 AM
Banned

Why WD? They get poor reviews on newegg,btw.

I was wondering what capacity to get. Some people say to not go any higher than 1.5GTB as 2TB has the extra platter. Four platters could be a problem as it means more moving parts? But, 2TB is getting close to the best price/performance ratio right now. If not, 1.5TB drives are already there for some models.

I want to get a storage drive but can't decide between WD Greens and Samsungs. The concern is with WD xxEARS models as they have the Advanced Format and I still don't know about using that. Maybe more trouble than it's worth. I also use Linux and want a drive for it but it requires manual partition alignment from a console. There's about three or four various ways that allegedly work but I don't know which one to try. I guess it would be easier to experiment if I actually had the drive but do I really want to risk data on a new format that manufacturers are only recently introducing?
Old March 1, 2010, 08:47 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Why WD? They get poor reviews on newegg,btw.
Newegg reviews mean less than nothing.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Newegg reviews mean less than nothing.

Ditto that.
Old March 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Lemme guess last Seagate you had fail was the notorious .11 batch they ****** up on?
that was the case with me, i got it fixed, but im using western digital now
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old March 1, 2010, 06:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly I have tried and tried to support Seagate but have given up on them as a Company.

I've got 7200.8/9/11/12 all in a neat pile at work. All Dead.
At home I've got 4 more, dead.

Where as I have a Hitichi Deskstar 80GB purchased Brand new when they first came out humming right along, and WD Drives of every ERA still going in multiple builds.
I have continued to buy Seagate until perhaps 6 months ago.

Sure, I know any PArt, and hardware can and will fail.
Its the Rate, much like the OCZ PSU's I had bad runs with, eventually enough is enough and you give up.

So, For Drives, WD would be my first Pick, Hitachi after. I can't suggest Samsung, as I have never used their HDD's so I won't recommend something I have not used personally.

My thoughts.
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 1, 2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

I had one Samsung HDD......the F1 series....then it died after it developed that Nforce 4 bug.

Too bad....it was a great drive. :(