Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 10:08 AM
MVP
F@H

One word of advice: Before you entrust a new HDD with important data, install it, copy some stuff to it, and then reboot. I've had 3 die on the 1st reboot in the last year. The first time I lost important data. Lesson learned.

(that was 42 words actually )
Old February 21, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

First thing I do on all new HDD's is run a long (ie hard) format on them. Then check the SMART numbers. IF there is a crap load of reallocated sectors...back it goes and I try another new one. Takes a couple hours...but well worth it :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seagate 7200.12 ( NEVER go under )
Itachi are not price performance like other
WD ( green for storage black for speed )
Samsung F3 for speed F2 for storage

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 21, 2010, 10:40 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Seagate 7200.12 ( NEVER go under )
Itachi are not price performance like other
WD ( green for storage black for speed )
Samsung F3 for speed F2 for storage
Hitachi's are never performance drives. But their prices generally are better. I just picked up a pair of 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives for the same price as the much slower WD Green WD2000EARS. Although they still aren't near as fast as the WD Blacks.
Old February 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Buy whatever is cheapest. That is my philosophy.
like a $ 800 IoXtreme (sorry it was too tempting)
Old February 21, 2010, 11:51 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
like a $ 800 IoXtreme (sorry it was too tempting)
After exchange and duty it was actually over $1000
Old February 21, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since I've started building systems which was like back in 2003, I;ve only had one hard drive fail me and it was a 150gb Raptor (the first models) and it was because I was installing Windows on it and the power went out! D'oh! I've only used Seagate or WD so far. Probably how it will stay.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:47 PM
MVP

Thanks for the help guys :) The drive I will be replacing will just be a data drive. Although speed is nice, its not a big factor, for me anyways, since it will be just for storage. My next system will definitely have a SSD as the C: for the OS, programs and games. But I won't be building a new system for at least a year or two :(

The only thing I don't like about Samsung is the HD diagnostic utility is only DOS. With WD and SG, their utilities run in windows. I know, I know I shouldn't base a drive on that.

Speaking of S.M.A.R.T, what diagnostic programs are good for interpreting SMART the best?

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old February 23, 2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

I think it really depends whether you need an OS or storage drive.

I'm looking for another storage drive myself. I have two storage drives that are 7200RPM speed. It's good but they can get a bit warm in passive cooling enclosures. They're both in Vantec NextStar enclosures. I think it might have been better to have active cooling enclosures but it could just be paranoia.

For OS, if you don't use a SSD drive, I recommend Samsung F3 drives. They are good overall performers with low heat and low power consumption. The WD Caviar Blacks would be my 2nd choice.

For storage, I'm considering the Samsung F2 EcoGreens, 5400RPM v.s. the Western Digital WDxxEARS line but these drives are of the new technology that could need manual alignment by the user. If you use Windows 7, though, the OS takes care of it. I'm not sure which to pick, though. The other drive companies might have the new drives aligned properly and WD themselves might follow. There just seems to be so many issues with those drives.

I wonder what you guys think of those drives. Any tests or reviews on the WDxxEARS series?

If you want ease of use and don't care about the new technology, go for Samsung F2 or F3. If you think, you might benefit from the new 4096 byte sector drives and don't mind experimenting, try them.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
Speaking of S.M.A.R.T, what diagnostic programs are good for interpreting SMART the best?
For interpreting SMART numerical data I only trust the manufacturer's diagnostic program, although I do run self-tests from Windows. SeaTools is actually capable of running self-tests on non-Seagate drives (tried a Samsung F1 and a WD Caviar Green EADS). I also ran some self-tests using SpeedFan, and it seems to work.

Last time I checked, the Ultimate Boot CD contains all of the HDD diagnostic tools one may need (works for me since I am running a Samsung and a Seagate in my desktop, and a WD in my laptop):
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

SpeedFan: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
SeaTools: | Seagate