Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 08:03 PM
Rookie

Default some SSD questions

I'm looking to get a SSD for OS and apps. 80GB is plenty for this, I think (I'll prolly add a larger one for Photoshop swap/games stuff).
Cost is not really much of a factor.
I need to order next week, so waiting for the next best thing is not an option. But in a few months, I will be able to order again, so it would be nice if it could be compatible.
Can you boot from 2 SSDs in RAID 0? Is this worthwhile? If so, which SSDs would be recommended?
It sounds like the Intel SSDs are still the ones to go with.
I'm wanting to order from NCIX, but I'm confused by their listings. They have two X25-M 80GB drives...one is listed as SATA2 NCQ at $100 more than the other one. Can you clue me in as to which one to order?\
Those are my most pressing questions for now...thanks for your help :-)
Old February 19, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

one of the intel is a gen2. these are really good http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ufacture=Intel
Old February 19, 2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
F@H

if you do raid with intel I think you can't use utility to clean them, AkG will come here for sure, I know you have some SSD you can clean in raid ,but witch one ????
Old February 19, 2010, 08:52 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
if you do raid with intel I think you can't use utility to clean them, AkG will come here for sure, I know you have some SSD you can clean in raid ,but witch one ????
Correct. No TRIM in RAID0.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:55 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Correct. No TRIM in RAID0.
but AkG told some place that I think OCZ can use an utility in raid 0 ....will see when he will reply.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no only raid0 will work with itgc no wiper for any raid from what i know but indilinx have itgc after firmware 1.41
Old February 20, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

TRIM commands right now can not be passed on to the SSD, so TRIM is not an option for RAID'ing SSD's. This is a RAID controller (be it software or hardware) limitation and not the fault of the SSD. At some point RAID controller's probably will catch up with the technology (no idea when or even if it will happen).

Intel X25's relies heavily on TRIM to keep the drives clean as their ITGC is very less than optimal. BUT even in a degraded state they are still beasts. You can do a Tony-Trim on them in RAID which is slow and kludgey but usually works perfectly (albeit it is harder on the cells).

Indilinx on the other hand has a very good ITGC. IF you know 100% that you will be running in RAID at some point I would go with Indilinx.

However, one SSD it going to be FAST and you may decide to NOT get a second one. Hell sometimes running two SSD's in software RAID / fake RAID nets nothing but a doubling of size and no real world performance increase (hell some peeps have stated their load time went up....BUT that is an extreme worst case scenario). I would get the fastest drive you can afford NOW, and in a year year and a half get a better, bigger faster one and not worry about fake RAID'ing the SSD.

As for Intel vs Indilinx in a one vs one setup. Some people prefer Indilinx other Intel. IF 80GB is big enough get the X25M gen 2. You will be amazed how fast a top of the line SSD like the Intel (or Indilinx) is. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 20, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

from my opinion when people say that there boot time has gone up they don't no what there talking about it's not boot time that has gotten longer just you have to wait for the raid controller to start up which can make your boot take longer. I for one do not count this as booting. that starts when the windows logo comes up with the bar
and i can tell you that not all itgc works as well as the others my g.skill ssd itgc sucks the big one but on my a-data it's rocks this are full and very dirty drives there less then 10gb free on this raid0 and have run it for well over 2 months now and this is what the speed looks like
Attached Images

Old February 20, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree gingerbee that boot time does go up but its the raid controller causing it. I was talking about application load times. IMHO it is very, very, very unlikely that application load time will INCREASE with going with RAID, but some people do not notice any increase in performance with modern gen SSDs as the dif is not that great unless the program is bloated and slow like Adobe photoship. If a program loads in 2 seconds with 1 SSD, will most notice if it drops to 1.5 or 1.3 second load time? It comes down to Synth vs real world. Synth (especially in sequential read /write) certainly drastically improves with raid'ing but that does not translate to guaranteed real world noticeable differences....usually ;)

It is very odd that one is drastically better than the other as all the Indilinx rebadges use basically the same firmware. Did both the ADATA and G. SKILL have the same firmware revision on them? I know first try ITGC was less than optimal in comparison to the second try and OCZ's was better than the TRIM only version that most others had. Of course when 1.5 filters down to every rebadge it will be moot as 1.5 is 1.5 is 1.5 regardless of what company logo is on the SSD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr