Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect

Default RAID0 Question

I have a 320Gb (Seagate) as my Win 7 OS drive (AHCI). My MB is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and I want to add another 320 Gb drive and Raid (stripe) them.

I have clean installed and Activated Win 7 (Home Premium) 3 times already, so I suspect that a 4th Install will result in a non-activation problem.

Question:

Is it possible to convert the original 320 to raid and retain the drive's contents, and then add the second drive and stripe them together. I thought I read somewhere that this is possible.

Any HC Input would be appreciated. I just hate this activation crap.
Old February 19, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I have a 320Gb (Seagate) as my Win 7 OS drive (ANSI). My MB is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and I want to add another 320 Gb drive and Raid (stripe) them.

I have clean installed and Activated Win 7 (Home Premium) 3 times already, so I suspect that a 4th Install will result in a non-activation problem.

Question:

Is it possible to convert the original 320 to raid and retain the drive's contents, and then add the second drive and stripe them together. I thought I read somewhere that this is possible.

Negative.

You will have to lose the data.
Old February 19, 2010, 02:40 PM
Banned
F@H

even if you will be abble to add a raid without installing windows, windows will see a difference and ask you to reactivate.
Old February 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Negative.

You will have to lose the data.
Some hard drive imaging software might do it, but in general i'd do a reinstall anyway.

Just call microsoft automatic activiation if it fails to activate again. Never had any problems with it (takes 5 mins).
Old February 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
I have a 320Gb (Seagate) as my Win 7 OS drive (AHCI). My MB is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and I want to add another 320 Gb drive and Raid (stripe) them.

Question:

You could try creating a system image using windows 7 backup and restore. I am not sure if that will ask you to reactivate or not but it will save all your data into a single backup. Which I assume you should be able to restore back to the raid once you have it configured.

System Image Recovery - Windows 7 Forums
Old February 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can do a system image but your better of with a fresh install. and you will also need another hd for the image or usb drive
Old February 19, 2010, 03:35 PM
Banned
F@H

when you activate the Intel Bios in the motherboard BIOS, it ask for reactivation, at least it ask me all the time I have done so . Normal, Microsoft see it as another board ( it's how I see it )

actually I see MS refuse only one time an activation over the phone, I call 10 minutes after , talk to another one an he activate it.
Old February 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

Default Raid0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
You could try creating a system image using windows 7 backup and restore. I am not sure if that will ask you to reactivate or not but it will save all your data into a single backup. Which I assume you should be able to restore back to the raid once you have it configured.

System Image Recovery - Windows 7 Forums
Thanks for all the replies people. Very much appreciated.

If I create the system Image, then the system files would contain the setup settings for a ACHI Drive setup. After restoring the image to a RAID0 Drive configuration, wouldn't the RAID Drivers be replaced with the ACHI Drivers, thereby corrupting the install after it re-boots.
Old February 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies people. Very much appreciated.

If I create the system Image, then the system files would contain the setup settings for a ACHI Drive setup. After restoring the image to a RAID0 Drive configuration, wouldn't the RAID Drivers be replaced with the ACHI Drivers, thereby corrupting the install after it re-boots.
I am not sure.. I don't think so but I can't say for certain. Since you perform this restore using the Windows 7 Disk I can only assume that it will use the proper drivers. As you should have to select the disk you are restoring to. If not you would have to reinstall the HDD drivers maybe using the windows repair?

You could also try this: Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software
Old February 19, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ahci are raid drivers. there the same driver but you will need to install the intel storage manager