Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Good Deal On Vertex 120GB SSD

Sale just went up at NCIX like 20 minutes ago or so....meanwhile I was just about to hit the "Order" button for another Intel G2 80GB for my Notebook.....so got this one for my Notebook instead ;)

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...y&promoid=1139

Hey, anyone know if these are shipping with FW 1.5 ?

EDIT: Confirmed these ship with FW 1.5 (latest)

Last edited by rjbarker; February 19, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old February 19, 2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

STOP THE TEMPTATION DAM YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old February 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Its all loaded up in my Notebook now ;)

Old February 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have both of them in my cart right this minute, trying to make a decision...
It will be going in my Q6600/P45 rig... That extra space the vertex provides is tempting but I dont really use all that much space on my C: and I would be using my 2x500gb seagates as my main installation drive.
Decisions, Decisions
Old February 22, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

unless the Vertex is still on for $300 after the $40 MIR I wouldn't bother with it and go for the IntelG2 80GB instead, just make sure you price match if your purchasing from NCIX.

Old February 22, 2010, 04:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well the G2 is on for $259 now with that free apricorn cloning kit, I think it's $254 here at infonec in Ontario right now.
And the vertex 120gb is still on sale at the moment too, I'd just need to grab a little more funds. :)

Perhaps I'll wait it out another couple of weeks to a month and see how the market goes, I just wanted an SSD to install my RTM copy of Windows 7 on as my RC install runs out in a week!
Old March 2, 2010, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

These are too pricey at the moment honestly. By the end of the year the price should drop considerably, so unless you REALLY require this for work or whatnot I don't see why you would buy one.
Old March 2, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ because there fast. everyone says the same thing till they try a good ssd. then they know why and try to put one in any build they can i budget in an ssd in almost all my builds now it makes that much of a difference in the system. jmo
Old March 2, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
These are too pricey at the moment for me honestly.
There fixed that for ya.

I take it you have never used a SSD before.

A fast and powerful SSD is easily the biggest single component upgrade you can do. Even a midtier OCZ Agility will destroy a WD 2TB Black or VelociRaptor 300GB.
Are they expensive on a dollar per GB basis....oh hell ya. BUT they are extremely good on a dollar to performance ratio.

Everything will be cheaper at the enof the year. This is true of ANYTHING computer related. Thats how the comp industry works. If you cant afford a Vertex 120GB now then yes they will be more affordable then....but there will also be even better SSDs out there by then too and these will be considered mid grade SSD's! If you cant buy flagship power, thats cool. Not everyone can justify the costs. BUT a lot of people who can afford them swear by them. YMMV but stop with the thread crapping. :/
RJB found a good deal and wanted to share it. Thats a good thing.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 2, 2010, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
These are too pricey at the moment honestly. By the end of the year the price should drop considerably, so unless you REALLY require this for work or whatnot I don't see why you would buy one.
I agree with you 100%. 120 GB for $350 is still way to high for me. We are already seeing the 60GB dip into the $170ish range and I anticipate they will be down to $120 by the end of the year. I am sure the speed increase is amazing but my 640GB WD Blacks are just fine. SSD is one upgrade I would love to do but the one I will wait for.