Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I love my SSD's...I'll never go back to a HDD with an OS loaded on it ;) As AkG stated, once you try it.......and as Ginger stated, try to Budget it into your builds ;)

Old March 3, 2010, 05:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
There fixed that for ya.

I take it you have never used a SSD before.

A fast and powerful SSD is easily the biggest single component upgrade you can do. Even a midtier OCZ Agility will destroy a WD 2TB Black or VelociRaptor 300GB.
Are they expensive on a dollar per GB basis....oh hell ya. BUT they are extremely good on a dollar to performance ratio.
Not trying to derail the thread at all my friend, just giving my opinion. I'm well aware that an SSD is the biggest upgrade you can give your PC and that the OCZ Vertex 120GB is on sale and everything. However that does not cancel the fact that they are extremely expensive, not just OCZ's but every SSD out there... is just expensive technology. Yet again, if you want performance you are expected to pay for it.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:17 AM
Banned

Imho, it depends how much you value speed and what price you put on it. The OP's link shows a 120GB drive at $400 right now which costs over 4 times the price of a standard legacy drive which has way more space. So, you buy it for the speed and it is probably more reliable too, with less moving parts.

But, what price do you put on speed?

I am more inclined to consider the Kingston SSD 120 GB drives even tough they're a bit slower. Their price is under $300 so I think it is a better deal. Whether it's worth buying depends on budget and how much you value speed? :)
Old March 3, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Hey ...that link price has changed since I Posted it....I got it for $310 after MIR (Weekly NCIX Special)
....GREAT DEAL!!!!

You guys that are tromping this Thread with Price vs GB "opinions" should start your own Thread....this Thread was started for folks that are into purchasing a new SSD.....

Old March 4, 2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

Huh? Still $350?

I'm 'a folk person' interested in purchasing a new SSD. But, I think it's still too expensive.

Yesterday, I watched some YouTube videos of comparisons between typical 7200rpm HDD and a SSD. I wasn't all that impressed. Yeah, the SSD was way faster, 2x faster on average, I'd say. Usually, the SSD was the Intel SSD which is typically one of the fastest. I still want one, though!
Old March 4, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You cant not imagine how much improvement they can make to a system until A) you use them and then B) use a system that is "only" running a Velociraptor 300GB. My old craptop dual core w/ a SSD in it, beats the ever living hell out of my main quad core rig.

If you cant afford the "big" ones. Get a smaller one. The 60's go on sale all the time and are very decent kit. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Completely!!..if your like me and monkeying around with uninstall / installing new Drivers, the Boot up process can be painfully slow....my SSD's make this process a breeze ;) ....