Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2007, 10:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You need to look at usage, cost, and risk.

Are these large files temporary working files? If so, would you really need to back them up?

Are the files static? Can you off load them to DVD once for backup or do you have to keep updating the backups as things change?

RAID provides some redundancy but is not a backup solution. The RAID is not going to help if lightning roasts the hardware or you accidentaly delete the wrong directory.

Given that failure rates of hard disks are pretty low what kind of risk are you willing to take? Is $500 investment worth it for protection against .001% chance of failure? RAID 0+1 is overkill IMHO. The only time you would need that is for mission critical data. What will it really cost you if you loose this stuff? If it will ruin your life you need to concentrate on a propper backup system and make sure you use it.
Old December 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
Allstar

OK, For instance, tracking @ 24/96 Khz for any length of time creates very large files. If they were important takes etc, they would need to be backed up to optical. Loading different takes and tracks into a multitrack environment is where the speed increas would be noticable. Some of these files are over a gig easily... I am just wondering as maybe Raid0 is not the way to go or perhaps I should just add some more drives instead of Raiding them. The failure rate is not really a concern becasue if it was that important I have backup or would make backups. I have been in the PC game for a long time and learned the backup lesson quite early. Thx for your help.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd suggest getting two fast drives and using them in RAID0, and then either manually or automatically backing them up somewhere else, say optical discs or other hard drives
Old December 5, 2007, 03:59 PM
Allstar

I am gonna go with a new RAID array after I get a couple other items. Thx for the help guys.