Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2010, 05:54 AM
Banned
F@H

Default I need a SSD

Ok I need an other SSD, I have already an Intel, I'm satisfy, but I want something better if available, 60 - 120 GB. ASAP, I order today thanks
Old February 16, 2010, 06:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Intel X25M gen 2's are about the best you can get RIGHT now in the MLC end of the market. Its a bad time to be guying high end (mlc or slc) as the SandForce controllers are still not really in the stream yet, Jetstream is still on the near horizon and the "older" (current gen) kit is still carrying a price premium. You could go SLC and get a Vertex EX....but damn they are expensive and your small 4k r/w's arent going to blow a 80GB gen 2 out of the water (or even match it). You'd have to go REALLY high end to get something noticeably better and you'd probably be kicking yourself in a month or two!

IF you are willing to drop the coin and take a risk the Vertex Limited Edition is a Sandforcre SF1200 based one (or so the rumours go, havent taken one apart to check yet) and its one of the VERY few available right NOW. To be honest, 100GB for $450 plus tax is bit much for MLC especially where in another month or three the Vertex 2 Pro and other Sandforce SSD's should be hitting shelves. If I had to have another high end SSD right now, I'd go for a X25M gen 2. BUT I would try and hold off if at all possible and see what happens to not only prices but what comes down the old pike over the next few months. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 16, 2010, 06:25 AM
Banned
F@H

Thanks Akg, I ask another one than Intel because it's for another build .... so I guess I will use a 640 black I have on hand and wait the new one you talk about.

I hate reinstall Windows
Old February 16, 2010, 06:33 AM

Why not drop a cheap 30 or 60gb Agility into it. Might be small, but it still will be loads faster than a HDD!
Later upgrade to a "better" one and sell it for 50-75% of its cost. /whistle

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 16, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^my thoughts too
try a vertex or any good indilinx they have higher writes. my indilinx get 150mb/s write all the time this is the only alternative to the intel only because it writes faster but it does read a little bit slower then the intel. jm2cents
Old February 16, 2010, 07:02 AM
Banned
F@H

Let say I reuse my Intel on that Build, I go ACHI or IDE, honestly I have no problem with the manual tollbox, is the windows trim is something that run always in the back ground, slowing down the drive a little bit. if so I'm may be better with the manual one ?
Old February 16, 2010, 07:34 AM

You most likley wont notice the slow down unless you REALLY pay attention (as in stop watch levels of precision). I prefer AHCI on the Intel drives as its one less thing to worry about and Intel's ITGC is sooo less than optimal. On Indilinx I usually run IDE and rely on ITGC and wiper.exe as I am a speed freak and do notice the dif. Thats what I find works best for me, but TBH on most builds for others I now use AHCI.

Old February 16, 2010, 07:53 AM

My System Specs

The Crucial RealSSD-C300 is just a few weeks away. This will be my next SSD purchase.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:55 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The Crucial RealSSD-C300 is just a few weeks away. This will be my next SSD purchase.
at $ 800 they better be good
Old February 16, 2010, 07:59 AM

It does look like one SWEET SSD doesnt it lowfat. Im looking forward to that one too :)

Last edited by AkG; February 16, 2010 at 08:13 AM.