Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2010, 07:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Combine and RAID1?

I have no idea if this is even remotely possible, which is why I'm asking

Here's my scenario:
Let say you have two 250GB drives, two 500GB drives and two 1TB drives. You want to combine all these together to make one lump storage space of 1.75TB, however as such, you want each pair of drives to be in RAID1 with each other to offer some redundancy.

Is it possible?

I'm guessing not, and I know I can just have them all as separate shares, but I'd rather be able to map a single network drive to access all 1.75TB of space. I think I could do this with DFS, but not too sure exactly. The computer is running Server 2008 R2 Standard though, so any features in that can be used.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

you just have to use dynamic disk and make a single volume with 1 of each pair so 250+500+1T ( 1,75 ) and make an other single volume in mirror with the other disks 250+500+ 1T

a volume can span on as many disk you want ( you have a limit I don't rmember, any way it's faf far more than what you can pun in your case )

you will have only one drive letter of 1,75 TB
Old February 15, 2010, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
you just have to use dynamic disk and make a single volume with 1 of each pair so 250+500+1T ( 1,75 ) and make an other single volume in mirror with the other disks 250+500+ 1T

a volume can span on as many disk you want ( you have a limit I don't rmember, any way it's faf far more than what you can pun in your case )

you will have only one drive letter of 1,75 TB
Okay, that sounds like a solution. However would they be mirroring to their respective drives, or would things end up all over the place?
Old February 15, 2010, 07:38 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Okay, that sounds like a solution. However would they be mirroring to their respective drives, or would things end up all over the place?
all over the plcae, you will not be able to remove a drive without lost all the volume.

Put windows home server insted , it will do what you want. only 1 drive letter, and 1.75 gb, you will be able to remove a drive anytime and place it in an other pc to read it
Old February 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Only that I can't get WHS for free from MSDNAA :(

And I figure all the same stuff should be fairly doable with normal Server 2008...
Old February 15, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

except that server 2003 IIRC doesn't have the storage manager that is in WHS. Honestly i would just live with the 3 drives. Since Dynamic disks is a less then ideal solution. You could possibly be safer using something like LVM in linux but then again it would be a bad idea. I would either slowly upgrade your disks so they are the same capacity and use RAID 10 (or 1+0). Or get something like a drobo.