Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 08:05 AM
Banned
F@H

Default Is indexing so bad on SSD

I start to be tire of the time it take to load contain of the drives when browsing folders . it kill the purpose of using SSD, is this so bad to re activate the indexing. Or it's me who do something wrong. also without the thump files it take quite a long time to load the thumbnail of the pics in a folders every time I access it.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no but what do you mean? i have no problems at all with it off.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:10 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
no but what do you mean? i have no problems at all with it off.
I edit the problem what you want I say it's a noob question. I'm not good in them
Old February 12, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its not like the difference is going to be huge WRT to life span, or prolly even noticeable. Indexing is just one of those little SOB programs that write and rewrite data all the damn time. It was much more important before TRIM as that meant a ssd could get into a degraded state PDQ. Nowadays....not so much.

If you plan on replacing the drive in 5yrs or less you prolly wont notice any dif in life span. IF you are planning on keeping it for 10...then maybe just maybe indexing would shorten the lifespan enough to be noticeable (and were are still only talking days here in the dif).

With all that being said you might notice a little bit of reduced performance with it on as Indexing is a resource hog from time to time.

TBH, I have never noticed a slow down with Indexing off. Are you sure it is indexing related and not something else?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 12, 2010, 10:33 AM

My System Specs

Windows 7 w/o indexing/search isn't Windows at all.

Seriously, I can't even use Windows w/o it.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:54 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
TBH, I have never noticed a slow down with Indexing off. Are you sure it is indexing related and not something else?
I have quite funny thing happen to in this computer, since I start folding, all network operation are slow, folding or not. it take a wild to list the other PC in the network. Will give priority to the problem and check for real tonight at home I just install Office, and photoshop, no crap in this PC at all

By the way someone keep their drive 10 years 5 is more than I expect, will not be piss if I reach 3 years , anyway they gone have better one for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Windows 7 w/o indexing/search isn't Windows at all. .
Not sure I understand , you use Indexing on your SSD , or you just joke about Windows
Old February 12, 2010, 11:10 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post

Not sure I understand , you use Indexing on your SSD , or you just joke about Windows
Yes I do. I use Windows Search all the time. If you turn Indexing off it makes search pretty much useless.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
Banned
F@H

I uninstall Firefox, Guess what, I can see all the PC in my network now, and Dam fast too, for access my server before I have to use \\server\xyz as exemple Now I see it right away.... the idea on firefox came to my mind because everything is realted to IE when browsing, will check my other problem, will not be surprise to find them solve. I have to admit that unstall vmware too,

Someone have knowledge of problem like that with firefox ? I will be quite surprise it's the problem if I'm the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Yes I do. I use Windows Search all the time. If you turn Indexing off it makes search pretty much useless.

thanks i will turn it on.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:24 AM
Banned
F@H

I really spot the problem with my Firefox removal, I can even acces the web configuration of my WHS server now.. I think we can say the problem is solve in part, I don't have firefox anymore to correct my spelling