Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 06:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Vertex 120GB replacing my 5400RPM in my laptop. Amazing!

Just swapped my 5400RPM Seagate HDD in my laptop, with a 120GB OCZ Vertex SSD. Very, very happy with the results.

Specs: 4GB, 1.5GHZ Merom cpu, Vertex 120 GB (Firmware 1.5), Windows 7 64-bit.

Some brief, unscientific results:

5400RPM Seagate HDD:

Windows 7 bootup time: 2 minutes, 30 seconds

Highest cpu temp reported by Coretemp: 72c

120GB OCZ Vertex (1.5 firmware):

Windows 7 bootup time: 35 seconds

Highest cpu temp reported by Coretemp: 57c

That's all I can report now but I am pretty happy. I did not use a transferred disk image, so the config is not exactly the same, but its close as possible.

I am really pleased with the lower temps. I am not sure if this is due to the SSD helping out the cpu in some manner, or just the SSD and less power used causing lower ambient temps in the laptop chassis. The temps topped out at 70c when I first installed Windows 7 last Fall, so I am confident that the SSD is the main factor in the lower temps here now.

I was not sure if the laptop was in IDE or ACHI mode, and there was nothing in the laptop bios indicating which. IDE is recommended by OCZ when flashing the firmware on the Vertex (it came with 1.4), so I put the Vertex in my main rig and flashed it there.

Awesome upgrade! I would recommend this to anyone looking to make their laptop snappier and add new life.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 6, 2010, 06:55 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Did the same in my lappy a while back. Lower temps, better battery time, much faster lappy as a whole... next will be a full re-install of W7 with ACHI if supported.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And here I am, looking at the 60GB Vertex, thinking about getting it for my XPS m1330...

This just helps to reassure me that it'll be a worth-while upgrade.

The temperature drop is impressive. And I think I could do with that too, because my HDD is right beside the mini-PCIe slots, and thus my WiFi Link 5300 seemingly overheats and stops working from time to time.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The 60GB Vertex I picked up yesterday came with 1.5 Firmware on it.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm getting ready to move my Vertex into my laptop but I have been dragging my feet. Maybe I'll get it together enough to do that tomorrow.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:23 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Just swapped my 5400RPM Seagate HDD in my laptop, with a 120GB OCZ Vertex SSD. Very, very happy with the results.

Awesome upgrade! I would recommend this to anyone looking to make their laptop snappier and add new life.

happy to see than SSD is not only icing on the cake , anyway.. This is my next upgrade here, if folding let me enough $$$ for it 120 GB is quite enough for most laptop usage... I use 40gb on my 160 7,2k

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I'm getting ready to move my Vertex into my laptop but I have been dragging my feet. Maybe I'll get it together enough to do that tomorrow.
that's a dam good idea, insted of buying a SSD for the laptop, We buy a better one for the PC
Old February 6, 2010, 08:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My main and folding rigs already have SSDs. I have to say I saw the biggest improvement on my laptop.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 6, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yep a new Vertex 120 or Intel 160 will be replacing one of the 320GB Seagates in my G51J soon...

Old February 6, 2010, 09:11 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Yep a new Vertex 120 or Intel 160 will be replacing one of the 320GB Seagates in my G51J soon...

Since you have both.. Vertex, Intel . do you prefer one to the other
Old February 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ You misread my Post....I do own an Intel but not a Vertex, I would prefer the intel as its 160GB vs the Vertex 120GB....I like the price of the Vertex though ;) I'll decide over the next few months which to install....I love my Intel 80 GB G2 in my Desktop...about 15 sec to Boot ;)