Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Since you have both.. Vertex, Intel . do you prefer one to the other
I saw no real life difference between my Vertex in my main rig and the Intel in the folding rig.

I guess I like the space of the Vertex better....
Fold for team #54196
Old February 6, 2010, 11:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
happy to see than SSD is not only icing on the cake
Is that a reference to my statement in another thread about SSDs?

I ask because the phrasing is conspicuously similar to what I said.
Old February 7, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep...the SSD's are by far the best upgrade out thier right now!! Anyone whom has not yet tried powering on and going through the Boot Sequence with the OS loaded up on a SSD is going to be blown away the first time they give it a go

Old February 7, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
My main and folding rigs already have SSDs. I have to say I saw the biggest improvement on my laptop.
because your laptop had a 5400 rpm in there so ya an ssd is a huge increase
Old February 7, 2010, 06:43 AM
Banned
F@H

I will like to add that putting and SSD in an Laptop have an other advantage other than speed, you dam less worry about HD shock a laptop is prone to with regular HD
this only worth the switch.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damn Chris. When did you fall in to all this money? New i7 rig, Watercooling on both, SSD's for 2nd rig AND laptop...Still not telling Angie about all these 'toys' are ya?

I hope you're buying Angie her own share of fun 'toys' to play with...

(Is it blackmail if I say you owe me a couple Pints of Guinness to keep me from talking? I don't think it is. We will call it a Buy-Out instead. )
Old February 7, 2010, 08:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Damn Chris. When did you fall in to all this money? New i7 rig, Watercooling on both, SSD's for 2nd rig AND laptop...Still not telling Angie about all these 'toys' are ya?

I hope you're buying Angie her own share of fun 'toys' to play with...

(Is it blackmail if I say you owe me a couple Pints of Guinness to keep me from talking? I don't think it is. We will call it a Buy-Out instead. )
Haha OK and I won't tell your missus about the hookers! She knows I upgraded the laptop, not the price
Fold for team #54196
Old February 7, 2010, 09:01 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Haha OK and I won't tell your missus about the
Sagath, I hope you will share some phone #, in case I plan to go Toronto
Old February 7, 2010, 09:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow I wish.

Quote:
that's a dam good idea, insted of buying a SSD for the laptop, We buy a better one for the PC
*snicker* I wish. The PC is getting a 150G Raptor that's been sitting on the shelf.

This is a bit of a test for me, though. Right now I can't really justify the price of an SSD (or two) for the same old reasons: price vs storage space. Doubly so since I have a heap of hard drives that is almost waist high. But there is that old saying, "once you go forward you can never go back". I actually just finished moving my OS to the Raptor and am starting to use it. So far so good but I wonder if I will be sitting here, soon, thinking computer thinking, "how did I ever live like this?"
Old February 7, 2010, 09:31 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
*snicker* I wish. The PC is getting a 150G Raptor that's been sitting on the shelf.

This is a bit of a test for me, though. Right now I can't really justify the price of an SSD (or two) for the same old reasons: price vs storage space. Doubly so since I have a heap of hard drives that is almost waist high. But there is that old saying, "once you go forward you can never go back". I actually just finished moving my OS to the Raptor and am starting to use it. So far so good but I wonder if I will be sitting here, soon, thinking computer thinking, "how did I ever live like this?"
I debated a SSD for the laptop for a while. I even thought of taking the one in my desktop and moving it to the laptop, and running a WD Black in the desktop. In the end, with $100 off the price of the Vertex, and the fact that my laptop usually only uses 60-80GB max, I thought that a laptop upgrade purchase was in order.

This laptop has had temp issues in the past too (warranty fixed). The 10-15c temp drops has only solidified my decision. I was thinking of a new laptop for a while, but this upgrade (along with the extra ram i got a while back) leads me to think that this laptop will now be used until it breaks down as boot times are quick (~30sec), and apps load almost instantaneously. Hopefully the lower temps add life too, saving money in the long-run (ahem Sagath...)
Fold for team #54196