Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 06:05 AM
Banned
F@H

Default Info on a PATA SSD ( AkG)

I found this drive that will fit on my trusty 5 years old Laptop. it's a Dell, I don't know if I will see a big improvement, the spec are not the one of an Intel or a OCZ of course. ...I already send an email to the manufacturer to see if the Dell will accept it.

Newegg.ca - Transcend TS32GSSD25-M 2.5" 32GB PATA MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
Old February 3, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC the TS32G was a JMircon based SSD. Unfortunately, the only "pata" SSDs I have come across recently are all the mini pci-e style. Pata really is a dead format when it comes to SSDs. TBH I dont know If I would recommend a JM based SSD nowadays. BUT if you do go for it, there are ways of keeping it fast('ish).
Some have had good luck with "Tony-Trim" two part plan on getting back lost performance.....Though nothing is 100% guaranteed to work as some other peeps say it made things worse.....YMMV

BUT is it worth the cost of upgrading to an SSD when their maybe other bottlenecks in the laptop? Only you can answer that question!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 3, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya a 5 year old laptop would not do too well i think it might make it feel very fast but for how long and really markone can you put off buying a new laptop because of this purchase
Old February 3, 2010, 06:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Thanks Ginger and AkG... I already buy a new laptop before xmas. a latitude with a e8400 mobile or what ever you call this CPU, the Dell inspiron 5 years old , have a good CPU on it. I will use it on my train room to control the layout, it have a perfect serial adapter I need on it. we have problem with the usb and serial adapter with the trains controller computer . the boot time piss me off on it since I don't leave it open like the rest of my PC. I already but 1 gb on it and light the windows XP the most I can. I can put a cheap PC I have but the Laptop look more slick . I already put a 7200 rpm on it.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

what are you trying to do, make a 5 year old laptop go fast? XD

EDIT: not quick enough!
Old February 3, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

cool train sets. no picks. not my thing but still cool
Old February 3, 2010, 07:13 AM
Banned
F@H

You want pics...wait when I will be home. since it's a computer forum I can talk about something ... the train are control by onboard CPU and Bios, it control the sound module, the speed, the light , even some kind of dynamic brake . acceleration , deceleration , train load . the signal is send by the main controler unit true the track, we have standard for the decoder in the engine so a locomotive can be use with any control device, usefull when you go visit an other layout. but the decoder are very hard to program with out a PC, the one I use is Digitrax, the linux of the controler, very hard to program but quite more option. even a network protocol. and it's this network that we have hard time to match with our PC, do you know we even have device that give us the exact location on the layout and the engine number , all on our PC screen, transponder we call it, like the airplane the turnout are also control by the PC, or the hand controler. it's a hobby by himsell , we call it DCC, Digital Command Control , and the protocol of my system is loconet.

Look at my friend David layout... it's amazing , not the layout , I do better . I means the electronic.

Digitrax.com: Layout Spotlight
Old February 3, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's crazy i had no idea that models trains had gotten this complex. very cool thank you should do some pics this is not my thing but it's still very cool the control that you have is amazing. thank again

p.s the video doesn't work but there links
Old February 3, 2010, 08:26 AM
Banned
F@H

I demolish my old layout, I change scale, my best is track work, I build all my turnout by hand. I'm also pretty good with building and painting. we have to weathered all our equipment and building too. chalk, pastel, oil painting, air brush, even the stuff the make up for woman, should see the woman at wall mart the other day when I buy few. I will say I have 3 to 4 time more knowledge in Model railroading than Computer.

look at this link, it's about looking the same as my work . the seller is a good friend of mine,

Atlas O 9511-1 &-4 FGE Steel Reefer Set Weathered 2R - eBay (item 150409257057 end time Feb-03-10 18:40:09 PST)
Old February 3, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow the paint is just well WOW very cool.