Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   OCZ Vertex 60GB or OCZ Agility 60GB? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/28460-ocz-vertex-60gb-ocz-agility-60gb.html)

lsquare February 1, 2010 03:00 AM

OCZ Vertex 60GB or OCZ Agility 60GB?

I'm now thinking just picking up the OCZ drive for about $80 more. It'll just write faster and I won't have any reason to bitch and moan about its performance. I'm just going to use it strictly as a boot and application drive. I will use my 2x2TB setup in RAID 1 configuration for storage.

My question here is which of the two 60GB drives will give me better bang for the buck? Since both SSDs are much faster than my current 150GB Velociraptor, I don't think I'll lose out much if one is 10MB/sec slower than the other. Which one should I go for?

Also, what's with the EX and LE labelling? Man, I'm so confused here. Is the Vertex EX faster than the regular Vertex drive?

lsquare February 1, 2010 03:15 AM

Oh, I also forgot to ask what's the lowest price the Agiliy 60GB was ever sold for? NCIX is selling the drive for $174.99 after rebate. I'm not convinced that's the lowest, but I really don't want to wait until later in the year to upgrade.

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Agility Indilinx 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1AGT60G In Canada.

AkG February 1, 2010 05:33 AM

The OCZ Agility is basically the same as the GSkill Falcon2 (though a more fair comparison MAY be between the Solid 2 from OCZ and Gskill Falcon 2). In real world uses you will see a 10 -15% hit in performance from the Agility vs the Vertex.

The Agility Ex and Vertex Ex are SLC drives. Much faster with about 10x the life span (100k cell writes vs 10k).

The "LE" versions are limited editions and are rumoured to be Sandforce controller based and not Indilinx. IF so they will have much more potential BUT have a very immature firmware. Either way they are MLC drives.

Where you plan on RAIDing the OCZ line is definitely the way to go for right now. You will want 1.4.1 ITGC firmware as RAID + TRIM doesnt work. Firmware 1.5 is supposed to have both ITGC and TRIM so in the near future you MAY be able to get one of the other mfg'ers version of the Indilinx drives and get the best of both worlds...but for right now OCZ is your best option for RAIDing.

Are you sure you want to RAID them? I always recommend trying one out and seeing if it is fast enough and only if it is not then going raid. You will not get double the performance and in some setups see no increase (maybe even a decrease) in "speed". IMHO get the best drive you can afford NOW and later get a second one if its not good enough. The 120Gb version ARE faster than the 60s so one 120gb now will provide you will not only more options...but also speed. YMMV ;)

If you hit the "price" button at the top near "techwiki" and "store" you can search for the lowest prices. Select the drive you want, it will show the current prices, and next to it will have a "history" tab. Click there and you will how cheap they were (sans MIR) over the past year:

here is the 60gb ocz pricehistory:
OCZ - OCZ (OCZSSD2-1VTX60G) Vertex Series SATA II 2.5″ 60GB Solid State Disk - OCZSSD21VTX60G - Powered by PriceCanada.com

Realityshift February 1, 2010 05:48 AM

Very well said AKG. Ive had my Vertex 60g for about a week now, and im in love, never thought a simple hard drive change would make such a difference on day to day tasks. Havent done any benchmarking yet, havent had time, but cold boots take about 25s to fully reactive windows desktop, minimizing speeds are much faster, waking my pc from sleep is no longer a chore. Great drive, I highly recommend it :)

On price note, thats a pretty sleek price NCIX is asking, but Im pretty sure I saw the 60g Vertex Barefoot edtion on for the same price as the normal vertex, Id go for that personally although I have to say I havent done a whole lot of research into the barefoots.

AkG February 1, 2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realityshift (Post 326632)
Very well said AKG. Ive had my Vertex 60g for about a week now, and im in love, never thought a simple hard drive change would make such a difference on day to day tasks. Havent done any benchmarking yet, havent had time, but cold boots take about 25s to fully reactive windows desktop, minimizing speeds are much faster, waking my pc from sleep is no longer a chore. Great drive, I highly recommend it :)

On price note, thats a pretty sleek price NCIX is asking, but Im pretty sure I saw the 60g Vertex Barefoot edtion on for the same price as the normal vertex, Id go for that personally although I have to say I havent done a whole lot of research into the barefoots.

Thanks RealityShift. Glad you like your SSD. Really is a great performance booster aint it! :)

The Barefoot is what Indilinx call their controller (it is going to be replaced with the JetStream controller this year). Some place add it in to be specific. There is a good chance that the "ECO" variation of the Barefoot is the short term "replacement" for the "Barefoot" branded ones, as the Eco variation can support 34NM Nand. That is my theory, but I'm not cracking open a new Vertex w/ 1.42 firmware to see the controller numbers! :)~

IF you get a Vertex w/ "1.4.2" on it....it uses the newer full speed 34nm NAND. Nice little bonus ;)

gingerbee February 1, 2010 06:10 AM

get the vertex period. most people don't need the controller details because it just confuses them. just waiting for the jetstream and sandforce to see what they can do. then i weill be buying another round of ssd. go vertex ha ha

lsquare February 1, 2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 326636)
get the vertex period. most people don't need the controller details because it just confuses them. just waiting for the jetstream and sandforce to see what they can do. then i weill be buying another round of ssd. go vertex ha ha

Since there is a $30 or so difference and the performance is about 10-15% less than the Vertex, why would you tell me to go with the Vertex over the Agility? I'm tempted just go with the Agility since I might not even notice the performane difference between the Agility and the Vertex. I'm coming from a Velociraptor so probably any SSD will be faster.

AkG February 1, 2010 08:16 AM

Gingerbee is coming at it from a performance POV. It really all depends on what your budget can afford. IF you can afford two 60GB Agility's in RAID 0, get a 120 Vertex now. It will be faster, and more powerful than Raptor OR the Agility and certainly will be money well spent.

IF you want to save some money and only want to get one SSD, go for the Agility. Both will certainly seem a heck of a lot faster than a VRaptor! BUT the Vertex is more "peppy" than an Agility.

TBH where you obviously want SPEED and power (as you own a VRaptor and most peeps looking for best bang for your buck didnt go for 10k raptors) the Vertex is a better fit, but like I said ONLY if you can drop the coin on the Vertex. ;)

lsquare February 1, 2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 326692)
Gingerbee is coming at it from a performance POV. It really all depends on what your budget can afford. IF you can afford two 60GB Agility's in RAID 0, get a 120 Vertex now. Money well spent. It will fast, powerful and certainly money well spent.

No RAID for me man. Where did you get the idea that I wanted a RAID configuration?

Quote:

IF you want to save some money and only want to get one SSD, go for the Agility. Both will certainly seem a heck of a lot faster than a VRaptor! BUT the Vertex is more "peppy" than an Agility. Where you obviously want SPEED and power (as you own a VRaptor and most peeps looking for best bang for your buck didnt go for 10k raptors) the Vertex is a better fit, but like I said ONLY if you can drop the coin on the Vertex. ;)
I can man, but in a way I'm kind of growing up here. I can't make those rash decisions like I did years back when the VRaptor was the performance hard drive to get. I can get the Intel 160GB SSD if I want. It's just I want to make practical and realistic decisions here. In Q4 2010, the SSDs will get cheaper. I see this as a temporary solution as I want to move this SSD to my laptop and get a better SSD in Q4 when things get cheaper and more choice becoming available.

gingerbee February 1, 2010 08:34 AM

well then why not just wait the new controllers will be out soon from what i hear. and he was just talking about performance when he mentioned raid.
and i was telling you to get the vertex because in the long run it's gonna last just as long and it faster. performance. you can get them on sale if you wait for a good price and after rebates there's only a 40 dollar difference for me i take performance
you sound like your arguing with yourself about this purchase when i do that it means i should not buy anything. so i think why not wait.:biggrin:

ps. off topic @AKG was thinking a sticky about what ssd's are good and what ssd's are bad/not as good in the storage section might be a good idea. lots of people ask is this any good for an ssd. jm2cents