Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
No RAID for me man. Where did you get the idea that I wanted a RAID configuration?

I can man, but in a way I'm kind of growing up here. I can't make those rash decisions like I did years back when the VRaptor was the performance hard drive to get. I can get the Intel 160GB SSD if I want. It's just I want to make practical and realistic decisions here. In Q4 2010, the SSDs will get cheaper. I see this as a temporary solution as I want to move this SSD to my laptop and get a better SSD in Q4 when things get cheaper and more choice becoming available.

LOL, sorry about that. Thought you asked in another topic on RAID'ing SSD's. :)~

Where its only going to be short term....than yes the Agility's are a great stop gap measure and are prolly the way I would go in your position. The Vertex would be great for 2-3 yr solution but If you just want to play with SSDs now while waiting for Sandforce & Jetstream to not only land but get a mature firmware you could do an awful lot worse than the Agility! It is prolly one of the best bang for your bucks currently available. Great way to get into the SSD arena and your right the 60GB Agility isnt TOO big an investment to replace in a year with something much much better. Prolly be able to sell it and get back 66% (or more) of your investment. Which you wont get when the Vertex losses its flagship price premium.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 1, 2010, 04:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
LOL, sorry about that. Thought you asked in another topic on RAID'ing SSD's. :)~

Where its only going to be short term....than yes the Agility's are a great stop gap measure and are prolly the way I would go in your position. The Vertex would be great for 2-3 yr solution but If you just want to play with SSDs now while waiting for Sandforce & Jetstream to not only land but get a mature firmware you could do an awful lot worse than the Agility! It is prolly one of the best bang for your bucks currently available. Great way to get into the SSD arena and your right the 60GB Agility isnt TOO big an investment to replace in a year with something much much better. Prolly be able to sell it and get back 66% (or more) of your investment. Which you wont get when the Vertex losses its flagship price premium.
The thing is that I've always wanted to get a SSD for my laptop, but the premium required to get one has kept me off. I don't need the world's fastest SSD for either my laptop or desktop. I just want something that's faster than my VRaptor so that I can use it on my desktop and then eventually move it to my laptop. I'm basically looking for value here and I think you're right, the Agility may be the drive that I'm looking for.
Old February 1, 2010, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well then why not just wait the new controllers will be out soon from what i hear. and he was just talking about performance when he mentioned raid.
and i was telling you to get the vertex because in the long run it's gonna last just as long and it faster. performance. you can get them on sale if you wait for a good price and after rebates there's only a 40 dollar difference for me i take performance
you sound like your arguing with yourself about this purchase when i do that it means i should not buy anything. so i think why not wait.

ps. off topic @AKG was thinking a sticky about what ssd's are good and what ssd's are bad/not as good in the storage section might be a good idea. lots of people ask is this any good for an ssd. jm2cents
You're right, I am arguging with myself over this. I'm not sure if SSDs are the way to go. I don't need that much capcity for a boot drive anyways. Heck, I'm only using 35GB on my VRaptor anyways. At the end of the day it's just a boot drive. Some people are saying the difference ain't night and day if I'm coming from a VRaptor. I no longer upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Someone told me, I'm better off waiting until Q4 2010 in wake of Intel & Micron's NAND announcement. I'm still debating about this with myself. I appreciate the advice.
Old February 1, 2010, 04:44 PM

I can personally say that going from a VRaptor to a Agility EX was a huge boost (but that is a SLC SSD which is basically as fast as a MLC Vertex). It was like night and day....BUT I am not most people and I do notice small differences in speed....and I am never satisfied. Others notice almost no difference at all. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with A) the OS you run the SSD on (XP gives the smallest boost, win 7 the most) and B) what you use the drive for. I am the 1% who maxes out system resources and can honestly see a need for not only 6 cores but 12GB or RAM. I use Adobe Photoshop on a damn near daily basis and the time savings from just that one program have prolly added a good year or productivity to my life! :)~

IF you dont think you max out your system on a regular basis, the VRpator is prolly more than enough. Its not like the Raptors are SLOW or anything. ;)

Gingerbee makes a good point. IF I am not sure on the need for something I usually put it on the back burner. In a month or three if I still think its a good idea, or I catch myself going "man this is where XYZ REALLY would have come in handy" I buy it. Otherwise I dont. Usually works for me.

IF you can afford the "risk" of an Agility, wait a month and see if the idea is still sounding like a good idea and then buy it. If not wait, save your money and see what shakes out to be the best SSD in Q4. In the mean time talk to people you know who have gone the SSD route. See what they think.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 1, 2010, 08:27 PM

My System Specs

The cheapest price for an Agility was 139 after a 40 dollar rebate last week. It was sold on Newegg as a shellshocker. The sale didn't last very long though and I missed out.

At that pricepoint, going with the Agility is a no-brainer.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I went from two X 150GB Raptor in Raid 0 to the 120GB Vertex and I would say it was the most noticeable upgrade I did to a computer of mine in ages.
Fold for team #54196