Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2010, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Do I want RAID? and if so what??

I'm getting into ripping all my BD's onto HDD and quickly realizing its a TON of data. Obviously I'm going HDD shopping soon but I'm also thinking about data security. It's not mission critical but it'd be a PITA to re-rip the 50 (or what ever) disks a 1.5 TB drive would hold should it fail.

Plan is to have the drives on the HTPC, though I may consider stting up a separate rig to basically just run the drives but I'm not sure it's worth it. Other computers on the network will be accessing the drives also to play the ripped BD's - as well as flacs.

I don't know what my performance requirements are but I'm betting not much. Now I see there's a huge difference in the cost of controllers and I don't know what the differences are. for instance what are the shortcoming of a controller like this? Sure performance probably is crap ass, but do I need anything better?

Maybe these are some dumb questions, I don't know.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 1, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

unless your running a data center i think i would suggest on board. buy i am no raid guru by any means.
Old February 1, 2010, 05:41 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
. for instance what are the shortcoming of a controller like this? Sure performance probably is crap ass, but do I need anything better?..
the controller you show don't have CPU and memory onboard.. they are use mainly for add raid solution to the board that don't have raid or to add more drive than your system can support. The expensive raid controler with cpu serve to calculate the parity data on raid 5 , and are use in servers , of course that's a very simplify explanation. If you want security and duplicate your data you can use a software like Good Sync for synchronize your files between 2 computers. the free version allow you to make 4 jobs. A job can be a full partition, or a simple folders. I use it at home and I'm very satisfy.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

2 x 1.5TB or 2TB WD blacks in RAID 0 with 2 x 1.5TB or 2TB drive as a backup incase of failure. Onboard RAID controllers work fine unless you plan on cramming 4 x SSDs in RAID 0 on them.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Large drives in RAID 0 makes no sense. Best way to lose data. Why bother? You won't gain any speed over a network. Get a good 2TB drive and go from there. If you need more space get another. Drive failure is uncommon now a days. RAID failure, especially using a motherboard controller, is far more common. BUying any RAID controller without onboard memry and processor is also a waste. RAID is fun to play with on a personal PC, but it is not worth the effort.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:50 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
...... Drive failure is uncommon now a days. RAID failure, especially using a motherboard controller, is far more common. ....

I have to agree than with raid 0 the controller will give you more problem than the disks. but disk fail too. so my idea to backup the drives in the other pc is good option. Get a SSD if you want speed instead
Old February 1, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Large drives in RAID 0 makes no sense. Best way to lose data. Why bother? You won't gain any speed over a network. Get a good 2TB drive and go from there. If you need more space get another. Drive failure is uncommon now a days. RAID failure, especially using a motherboard controller, is far more common. BUying any RAID controller without onboard memry and processor is also a waste. RAID is fun to play with on a personal PC, but it is not worth the effort.
well that pretty much sum's it up for me too.
Old February 8, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The reason why I was considering RAID was that (for example) was that I only lose one drive's worth of storage - for storing parity. Where as keeping an exact backup on a separate computer I need to buy 2 drives for one drives worth of storage. I thought the RAID array could be more $$$ practical in the long run... but I suppose not if I'm going to have to buy an expensive controller over using a cheapie (or on-board).
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 8, 2010, 08:51 AM

My System Specs

My vote goes to having an external backup. Not RAID. There are other ways you can lose data besides a drive failure. I keep all my BD rips on 3 x 1.5TB RAID0 (yes I do need the speed). Then keep them all backup on on an external box.
Old February 8, 2010, 09:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

cost, capacity, performance, expandability

1.5 Tb drives seem to be the best bang for the buck solution right now at about $120 depending on the sale and where you buy them.

I'm surprised no one has asked how quickly you will get more. If you current drives fill a 1.5 how long will it be until you need more space?

I agree with LowFat that off line backups are the best idea. The question then becomes what is more valuable to you, the time it would take to rip all the drives again if something goes wrong or the $120 to buy another drive.

I would buy one 1.5Tb drive, rip some discs, and test the performance. If you can not steam off the drive then look at striping it with another or getting better drives or a better controller.

If one drive is fast enough would it kill you to have two volumes? Would MEDIA-A and MEDIA-B be too many places to look for something? Is this even an issue with HTPC software providing a pretty front end?