Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Default Which HDD and enclosure?

Hello, I would like to buy another HDD and enclosure. I don't know if I should pay extra for a 2TB though. I would like to but ofthe drives that are "affordable" (regarding price/performance and price per GB),which ones would you recommend?

I am inclined to choose between Hitachi and Samsung. I am not sure I want to risk any issues with Seagate and the WD head parking issue bothers me. I thought WD should have fixed this by now and I don't know if WIDDLE3 or whatever the program/utility is, works well enough. I dual boot Linux and Windows and WD is said to have some problems in Linux. Also, I read that the Green WDs have problems later when you want to access them, there is a delay? Anyway, I am open to suggestions and ideas.

I'm interested in a HD to be used for storage.

I have some 1TB HDDs in enclosures already. They are working well so far, one Samsung 1TB and 1 Hitachi 1TB. The enclosure is a Vantec NextStar3 but the drives do feel a bit warm after running for a while. I think it's an acceptable temp but I'd like to try an enclosure with a fan.

So, please recommend a 1TB and/or 2TB HDD and help me choose from one of these enclosures, please?!? :)

Thermaltake Max4 Active Cooling - Specs & Reviews

or

Antec MX-1 - Specs & Reviews

I'd like a 2TB HDD now but I'm only willing to go up to $170 for it which (divided by 2) is like the price of a 1TB, $85, or so. I'll be using the drive(s) for storing videos, various files/data but mostly for videos/songs so they get filled fairly quickly.

If I go for a 1TB, I am considering the Hitachi 7K1000.C model and if 2TB, the Hitachi 2TB version and the Samsung F3 2TB drive.

Recommendations for the HDD and enclosure now? ;-) I can't decide and need help!!!
Old January 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The head parking issue you mention is only on a few particular lines. In laptop drives its a good easy way to save power and help protect the drive against G forces....say when / if you drop your running laptop. Same goes for the Green line in that it helps save power. This is NOT the same thing as saying ALL WD drives have aggressive head parking "issues". The Black line make kick ass OS drives.

The WD green's will self power down and thus are not great OS drives, and some OS's do throw fits (unix and MS Home Server are examples that don't like em)...BUT as a Storage only drive they are prolly the best bang for your buck going. Why pay for "power" that will not do you any good? IMHO, WD Greens and external enclosures are great combo.

I've used the passive version of MX-1's and they are very good for their price. I'm not a fond lover of active cooling external enclosures as most I've used get LOUD at some point. IF you use a Green or other low power, low heat drives there really is no need for active cooling. TBH, unless you are planning on running the external box 24/7 (or stack 'em on top of each other) active cooling really is not needed at all unless you drop a REALLY hot running hdd in it (like the Raptors or old defunct Maxtor's).

Now with all this being said peace of mind IS priceless so if you want the hdd to be as cool as possible... I'd pick the Antec as Im not a fond lover of TT's external storage kit (bad experience with em).

Same goes with WD, if YOU don't trust/like/etc WD pick any of the others you listed. Its not like a couple seconds one way or the other is going to matter. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 31, 2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
The WD green's will self power down and thus are not great OS drives, and some OS's do throw fits (unix and MS Home Server are examples that don't like em)...BUT as a Storage only drive they are prolly the best bang for your buck going. Why pay for "power" that will not do you any good? IMHO, WD Greens and external enclosures are great combo.
Oh, I agree. I only had the one issue with the WD Greens and that is because I use Linux as well as Windows.

You even said that 'unix doesn't like them.' If I use Widdle3 to change the parks, I don't know how much it would change it and whether that change would help when using Linux. I thought the Samsung F3 EcoGreen would be a good compromise and I don't know if they have any parking of heads when working or not but I haven't read of any. It's a bit harder to get though, as only newegg stocks it. The WD ones are easy to find and get. The Hitachi drives I have bought before and had good experiences with them. I think the Hitachi ones are 7200rpm so maybe running slightly hotter than the slower Green drives.

Actually, my OS system drive (with XP and Linux distros installed) is actually a WD Blue drive and it is doing fine, knock on wood.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

I found that the Antec enclosures, either the passively cooled MX-100 or actively cooled MX-1, is cheaper (right now*) than the Thermaltake. I guess the Antec ones are the frontrunner then. 'Just need to decide on a drive then.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:09 AM

Its been a long while since I looked at WDidle and Linuix, but Im not a fond lover of doing things like that and where it is not a supported program by WD I'd hate to see someone be denied their RMA over it. IMHO, if the Green is used as a storage only drive it is not like the it is going to be constantly parking and un-parking itself like if it was the OS drive, so the reduction in life is prolly very little to non-existant.

You like the Hitachis and are going with an active cooling so Id go with what you know and like.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 31, 2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

I think the Hitachi 7K2000 has an extra platter compared to the others. The over power consumption is a bit higher too.

So, I think I'll eliminate that one from 2TB options. That leaves me with the WD Green v.s. Samsung.

I guess for 1TB, I'd choose the Samsung EcoGreen, whatever is cheapest F2 or F3 (preferred?). I'm pretty confused now. ;-) The Green series has a good low power consumption and low temps except for the heads parking but if it's a storage drive, maybe not too bad? But, if I use a Unix-based file system (ext3), do I have to be concerned about it at all? I was even thinking I could format as NTFS as Linux can read that file system pretty well nowadays with ntfs-3g.

Anyway, still reading/researching...
Old January 31, 2010, 11:21 AM

Sorry If I have confused you. The heading parking is an issue on an OS drive because modern OS'es do write caching and usually only write to the drive in bursts about every 30seconds or so. The time to park the heads (IIRC) is 8 seconds on the Greens. This means on when a Green is used as an OS drive....the heads are parking and un-parking damn near constantly(well not really but you get the idea)! This is not an issue with storage / "D" drives as they are not being accessed on a continuous basis. You may notice a slight "pause" and a click before a push or pull of data from/to the Green happens as it has to un-park the heads and THEN execute the command. I am not an expert on Linuix but you may get some errors in your error log because of this. I cant see it being that big a deal, but than again I dont know exactly what you plan to stick on the drive either ;) IF its to put apps on....Id go with a dif drive. IF its data only than I'd strongly look at the Green's and take the head parking issue into consideration and maybe talk to a Linuix guru or three (like I said, Im not a noob at unix/linuix BUT I dont consider myself an expert my any stretch of the imagination!)

When we are talking about 1 hdd....power savings are negligible. Take the 2TB Black vs 2TB Green. Your looking at about 1 watt of savings between the two. For older gens compred to the new green your looking at about 1.5-2 watts savings.

TBH I think any large hdd will suit your needs perfectly. The green will make less noise and produce less heat, BUT you may be looking at your *nix OS needing more care and feeding.