Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2010, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Default Baracuda updare?

I own a seagate baracuda 500gb I think it's the ".11" edition and I am considering to upgrade with a low budget.Would a caviar black make a noticeable difference?Any other suggestions at the same price range?Moreover,I have been told (by a trustworthy source) that many of these have been found faulty due to the manufacturer,at least where I live.I did mine some tests and they showed it was normal.Could it be under-performing despite of these results?
Old January 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Seagates usually are a little bit slower than a similar gen WD (or at least they were up until the XT 2tb which can give the 2tb black a run for its money is many areas...but still gets its arse handed to it in others like latency). I assume you mean the 500GB Black. IF you can afford the extra couple bucks the WD 640GB Black is prolly one of the best bang for your bucks HDDs going. It IS noticeably faster than the 500GB Black....which in turn is (slightly) noticeably faster than an older .11 seagate. YMMV but that is what I would do if that was my budget range. :)

This is all based on my personal experience as I've owned and/orused damn near every hdd out there at one time or another in a build....but my "goto" drive for most builds is still the 640GB Black. 5yr warranty (vs 3 for Seagate) is a nice bonus too ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 31, 2010, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Thanks for your help.I still ask thought wether the fact that my baracuda is running without problems at some tests(let's assume they are reliable) indicates that it isn't working below the manufacturers stnadards?If it depends on the tests tell me and I will name them.Moreover,can u tell the approximate difference between the average performance of a Caviar black 640Gb and my baracuda in figures?Just an estimation like more than 5% or 8% or about 4% or sth like that,since I don't have money to throw on an inefficient investment.Any other suggestions even a bit(like 40% max) more expensive which deserve their money?Thanks for your time in advance.

Last edited by Smn123; January 31, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you have done the seatools short and long tests and they come back as showing the hdd as being good....its good. Does this mean your HDD wont die tomorrow? Nope. Any and most hard drives just up and die from servo mechanical failure, controller failure or other wonky things which are tough to predict. IF the drive is working, and has done so since day one the chances are good it will keep on doing so for a long time.

The WD 640 Black is prolly one of the fastest sub 2TB 7200rpm drive on the market. A 2TB Black will eat it for lunch. Same goes for a VRaptor....and same goes for all current gen SSD (Indilinx, Intel, Samsung, Toshiba).

The biggest difference between the 11's and the Black line is in latency. The black is about 11.6ms latency. The Seagates are in the 12-13 range. The sequential speed of both is similar (once again the 640 is faster) but in an OS environment (ie as your OS drive) the dual controller of the Black will make a big impact on how fast the system "feels". Is the difference between em night and day huge.....no both are still 7200rpm drives, and both are not current gen drives.

The big question only you can answer is: IS the dif worth the time, effort and cost from going from a working 11 to a new 640 Black. IMHO, if the drive is good...use it. IF you plan on upgrading anyways then yeah buy a new 640 Black and get a moderate speed boost. IF you can afford more the next drive you will want to look at is the 2TB Black. It is a beast. I did a review on it recently and it is FAST. If you are planning on upgrading in the next year or so and can wait, rumours of a new VRaptor coming out MAY make it worth your while. TBH, the biggest upgrade anyone can do is go from HDD to SSD. A solid state drive, will simply eat a 2TB Black, or any other hard drive out there in system performance. Once again this comes back to latency. A modern SSD at worst is 0.1ms, compared to 6.2ms for a Vraptor. HUGE difference. Add in anywhere from 20-40mb/s in the all important small read & write speed (the OTHER main area which determines how fast a system "feels") compared to 1 or 2MB/s for all hard drives. IF it was me and my drive is good I would be saving up for a OCZ Agility/ GSkill Falcon 2 (mid teir drive) or a OCZ Vertex/Pat Torqx/GSkill Falcon 1 (high end drive). YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 31, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

long story short, you're not going to notice much (if any) of a difference going from one 7200 rpm drive to another.

the .11s had a bunch of early firmware issues iirc, but I think they're all resolved now. your drive is probably performing on par with similar .11 drives. if you want though you can do a speed and latency test with HDtune and compare it to other people's similar .11 (and WD, .12, etc.) drives (via google)

I'd just save up for an SSD if you're looking for high performance.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:44 AM
Rookie

Thanks again.