Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ocz wiper vs Sanitary Erase

could some of the ssd freaks tell me what the difference is cause i thought the wiper put it back to new thanks for any help or info from anyone
Old January 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm not a SSD freak but this is my understanding.

Wiper cleans sectors with deleted in them but leaves current files intact. A maintenance tool.
Sanitary erase cleans the whole drive blitzing everything. A reformat tool.
Old January 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That is basically the difference. But in theory a Sani Erase will bring back 95-100% performance loss, whereas Trim/Wiper.exe in theory will "only" bring back 95-99%. That is the theroy. In reality, there probably is no difference except that Sani Erase IS much much hard on your drive than running TRIM/wiper.exe.

Honestly, to my way of thinking Sani Erase was put forward as a "solution" by Intel because they were getting there arses kicked by Indilinx and their "wiper.exe" program and that was the only stop gap they could think of. Sani Erase was not developed with SSDs in mind...it was for making sure data was gone with re-freshening of SSD cells as a nice bonus / side effect. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks guys that is what i thought so then using this on my a-data s592 is pointless i will just keep running with wiper thank.