Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2010, 06:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD Review Comment Thread

As the SSD marketplace expands at a near-breakneck pace, OEMs and manufacturers alike are moving quickly to cover as many price points as possible. One of the most popular portions of this market doesn't lie with the high-performance, stratospherically-priced drives but rather with drives that offer the perfect mix of value and performance. G.Skill's new Falcon II 128GB is one of the SSDs which is leading the push towards affordable, large capacity SSDs.

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread for all your questions and comments.

Last edited by SKYMTL; January 20, 2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty good SSD. Still iffy on the price though. I just can't seem to justify its price yet. When it hits $2 or maybe $1.8/GB then I'll definitely start searching.

I know this may sound like a lot of work, but because of the rapid fluctuations in pricing, would it be possible for each new review to have updated "Cost per GB" numbers for each SSD mentioned in the review? It would give a better sense of which SSD is better economically as time goes along. Again, it's just more food for thought for the reader, but if it takes more work than needed, that's alright.

Great review though! Keep up the good work.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been eyeing up that Vertex 128GB $399 for my Notebook ;)

Old January 21, 2010, 04:17 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Rjbarker, the Vertex is a beast....and rumours are some are now coming with "1.4.2" on them so as to use the 34nm NAND it ships with (others still use the orginal NAND though, so it is a roll of the dice until the older stock is sold)! The GSkill F2 is a great drive, I can just imagine how big a beast the Vertex/Falcon 1/Torqx will be when they have "enthusiast" grade 34nm NAND in it!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 21, 2010, 06:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I know this may sound like a lot of work, but because of the rapid fluctuations in pricing, would it be possible for each new review to have updated "Cost per GB" numbers for each SSD mentioned in the review? It would give a better sense of which SSD is better economically as time goes along. Again, it's just more food for thought for the reader, but if it takes more work than needed, that's alright.
I think that's a reasonable request.
Old January 21, 2010, 11:22 PM
MVP
F@H

Great review. Like most of the reviews on here, it makes me want to spend more money on toys. :-p
Old January 21, 2010, 11:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Pretty good SSD. Still iffy on the price though. I just can't seem to justify its price yet. When it hits $2 or maybe $1.8/GB then I'll definitely start searching.

Great review though! Keep up the good work.
Heh.... some of us here remember when it was $/Mb..... (Seems to me my first 1G HDD was over $200... ;) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 22, 2010, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sonny, when I was a kid, I walked my dinosaur, uphill both ways, in 12 ft of snow from last night, with no shoes, to school.
Fixed that grammatical error sswilson
Old January 22, 2010, 08:14 AM
Allstar

Minor gripe, but why is it when you post a summary and put a link up called "read full article", you link us to the summary and if we want to read the full article we have to click on another "read full article" link? I've seen this happen for quite a few reviews now and it's just unnecessary.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank great review