Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/28015-g-skill-falcon-ii-128gb-ssd-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL January 20, 2010 06:52 PM

G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD Review Comment Thread

As the SSD marketplace expands at a near-breakneck pace, OEMs and manufacturers alike are moving quickly to cover as many price points as possible. One of the most popular portions of this market doesn't lie with the high-performance, stratospherically-priced drives but rather with drives that offer the perfect mix of value and performance. G.Skill's new Falcon II 128GB is one of the SSDs which is leading the push towards affordable, large capacity SSDs.

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread for all your questions and comments.

bojangles January 20, 2010 08:11 PM

Pretty good SSD. Still iffy on the price though. I just can't seem to justify its price yet. When it hits $2 or maybe $1.8/GB then I'll definitely start searching.

I know this may sound like a lot of work, but because of the rapid fluctuations in pricing, would it be possible for each new review to have updated "Cost per GB" numbers for each SSD mentioned in the review? It would give a better sense of which SSD is better economically as time goes along. Again, it's just more food for thought for the reader, but if it takes more work than needed, that's alright.

Great review though! Keep up the good work.

rjbarker January 20, 2010 08:32 PM

I've been eyeing up that Vertex 128GB $399 for my Notebook ;)

AkG January 21, 2010 04:17 AM

Rjbarker, the Vertex is a beast....and rumours are some are now coming with "1.4.2" on them so as to use the 34nm NAND it ships with (others still use the orginal NAND though, so it is a roll of the dice until the older stock is sold)! The GSkill F2 is a great drive, I can just imagine how big a beast the Vertex/Falcon 1/Torqx will be when they have "enthusiast" grade 34nm NAND in it!

SKYMTL January 21, 2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangles (Post 321159)
I know this may sound like a lot of work, but because of the rapid fluctuations in pricing, would it be possible for each new review to have updated "Cost per GB" numbers for each SSD mentioned in the review? It would give a better sense of which SSD is better economically as time goes along. Again, it's just more food for thought for the reader, but if it takes more work than needed, that's alright.

I think that's a reasonable request.

FlyingFish January 21, 2010 11:22 PM

Great review. Like most of the reviews on here, it makes me want to spend more money on toys. :-p

sswilson January 21, 2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangles (Post 321159)
Pretty good SSD. Still iffy on the price though. I just can't seem to justify its price yet. When it hits $2 or maybe $1.8/GB then I'll definitely start searching.

Great review though! Keep up the good work.

Heh.... some of us here remember when it was $/Mb..... (Seems to me my first 1G HDD was over $200... ;) ).

Sagath January 22, 2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 321719)
Sonny, when I was a kid, I walked my dinosaur, uphill both ways, in 12 ft of snow from last night, with no shoes, to school.

Fixed that grammatical error sswilson :ph34r:

thenewguy001 January 22, 2010 08:14 AM

Minor gripe, but why is it when you post a summary and put a link up called "read full article", you link us to the summary and if we want to read the full article we have to click on another "read full article" link? I've seen this happen for quite a few reviews now and it's just unnecessary.

gingerbee January 22, 2010 11:31 AM

thank great review