Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Trim enabling and ssd toolbox issue

just installed my 80 GB intel 2nd gen FW 02HA

1st. how do i enable trim? i've been looking around for an answer but i must not be looking in the right place?

2nd. ssd toolbox just shows "error connecting to drive" beside my 80GB intel. not sure why, tried restarting and reinstalling and still no go.
Attached Images

Old January 18, 2010, 04:02 PM

My System Specs

Are you using Windows & AHCI?

And you want 02HD firmware I am pretty sure.
Old January 18, 2010, 04:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

using windows 7, but it looks like my mobo doesn't support AHCI.. pos. :( lol
so.. i guess theres no need to update the firmware?

Old January 19, 2010, 07:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

is there any way to manually run trim? or some sort of garbage collection program?

Old January 19, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
is there any way to manually run trim? or some sort of garbage collection program?

iirc the 02HD has garbage collection if for whatever reason the drive cannot utilize TRIM (be it raid or OS/Mobo limitations). So assuming you flashed it to the latest firmware, it should be garbage collecting in downtime.

AkG is probably a better person to have reply to this tho.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Intel technically has a version of ITGC in their firmware....but it is SLOW and not that effective (ie easily overwhelmed). IIRC Intel did this on purpose so as it would be "easier" on the cells in the short term w/ a mid term solution being TRIM (long term is probably make you upgrade to the next gen whenever it released). BUT it would not surprise me, if on TRIM enabled firmware ITGC was disabled (like Indi' does with theirs) but if it was mine I would still "risk" it & upgrade to the latest firmware and then try again. Intel SSD's dont degrade as fast or as much as others and even in a degraded state they are still fast. Worst case scenario is you backup your data every 4 - 6mths and run a sanitary erase on it....or do a Tony Trim on it every once in awhile (check out OCZ's forum on Tony TRIM for details: Guide For those in raid, or those who just want a drive with consolidated free space and clean Nand...bring on TONY-TRIM - OCZ Forum) which in theory should also work on Intel drive and not just JM and Samsung ones.

If it still cant see it I'd yank the drive and try it in another system which DOES have AHCI capabilities. See if it can be seen then. If it can and you dont feel like upgrading a mobo just to get TRIM....run sani erase or Tony Trm to get you through till your mobo dies ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2010, 07:43 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
ive and try it in another system which DOES have AHCI capabilities. See if it can be seen then. If it can and you dont feel like upgrading a mobo just to get TRIM....run sani erase or Tony Trm to get you through till your mobo dies ;)
AkG do you mean you need the drive on AHCI for the TRIM work. ?
Old January 19, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That seems to be the opinion of the experts now. Or at the very lest...AHCI drivers have been proven to pass the TRIM command onto the SSD. In retrospect its not that surprising as IDE is an old standard. It does make for a real PITA as many SSDs (Indilinx comes to mind as the best example) NEED to be in IDE to flash the firmware properly (right now, this is probably a short term problem only).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2010, 07:55 AM
Banned
F@H

AkG you told me to install it in IDE mode , so do I have trim working or not ? ( it's enable )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Honestly dont worry about AHCI. Set it to legacy IDE and forget it. Some improve slightly and some do worse in AHCI mode. IMHO not worth the effort or hassle if you dont use esata.
Old January 19, 2010, 08:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

i used my other system to update to 02hd, and i realize my mobo is the problem, i'm just curious as to where the "enabling" is located? is it toolbox that is used to enable trim?