Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2010, 09:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
LOL, yeah you are like me MarkOne. SPEED NOW!!! and let me wory about cleaning up afterwards. This is why I am such a fan of OCZ Indi drives. 1.4.1 ITGC firmware is perfect for me. BUT that auto setup for manual trim the toolbox has is sweet to. ;)

Things like this is why I always say there is TWO best options in the SSD market right now and not one like some Intel fanboi's say. Intel and Indi, both have their pros and cons. YMMV etc etc
so.. is this just an intel + my 780i issue? if i got a vertex i could i get trim working with my 780i?

Old January 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
TBH the more I use 1.4.1 the more I like it. But I'd never insist on one SSD over the other. Its a Ford vs Chevy thing and I can easily see where Intel's solution is better fit for other people.
I have no regrets it will give me a reason to try both
Old January 19, 2010, 09:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
so.. is this just an intel + my 780i issue? if i got a vertex i could i get trim working with my 780i?
More like SSD and your mobo and the ahci vs ide controversy (im conservative so until IDE is proven to work...it dont work) kind of thing. Just with Vertex and Agility drives....you got options. Many people like myself pefer 2nd gen ITGC over TRIM. That is why OCZ is king of support right now. Their customers wanted options...and they gave it to them!

Like I said IF that drive is recognized in that mobo....you are golden. Its only if cant be recognized that you got problems

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:

Have you check if evga have a new BIOS
Old January 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Have you check if evga have a new BIOS
i think its the nvidia controller (hardware) thats the problem, so a bios update probably wont fix it.
but i'll check mine and update it if needed anyway though. :)

Old January 19, 2010, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Nvidia's nForce 780i SLI chipset - The Tech Report - Page 1

780i does NOT support AHCI, from what AkG is saying I gather you need AHCI to pass along the TRIM command, regardless if it is an Intel or Ilindix controller in the SSD.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Nvidia's nForce 780i SLI chipset - The Tech Report - Page 1

780i does NOT support AHCI, from what AkG is saying I gather you need AHCI to pass along the TRIM command, regardless if it is an Intel or Ilindix controller in the SSD.

Exactly Sagath. That is my recommendation (and you hit the nail on the head with 780i too). Win 7 MS AHCI drivers are a known quantity right now and do pass the command along. IDE drivers well....TBH....its a mess right now with no definitive answer. Im inclined to believe that when there is a known quantity and an unknown....I'll take the known and wait and see if the unknown BECOMES an known in the future ;)
This is for OS level TRIM (i.e. ATA T13 TRIM).
"Manual" Trim via Intel Toolbox or Indilinx wiper.exe works equally well on XP, Vista and Win 7 w/ IDE. IF you have an Intel drive setup in IDE mode and dont want to mess with your setup...use the Manual TRIM option.
IF you have a OCZ drive and dont want to mess with it...use 1.4.1.
IF you have a GSkill, Patriot, etc Indi based drive and dont want to mess with it....use Tony-Trim or the older 1.3 / 1571 firmware.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

ok.. some progress.. i used the guide here posted by polo127 and now toolbox detects properly, i had tried it earlier but it didn't work, i hadn't installed the nforce drivers. after installing the nforce drivers i did what the guide suggested, i rebooted, it detected a new device in windows, restarted again and now toolbox works. :) now to see if i can run any of the tools.

Old January 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

optimizing scan ran fine, have it scheduled to run every tuesday at 3am. :)
thanks for the help everyone :)

Old January 19, 2010, 12:02 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
i think its the nvidia controller (hardware) thats the problem, so a bios update probably wont fix it.
but i'll check mine and update it if needed anyway though. :)

I know the chipset will not support AHCI, you have a small chance than upgrading the BIOS will make your tool detect the drive, it why I post it, but since now it recognize it no need anymore.