Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2010, 08:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

i tried whats posted in post 4 here and it says trim is enabled.
Updated P128 firmware - how do i enable TRIM? - The Corsair Support Forums
Attached Images

Old January 19, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
AkG you told me to install it in IDE mode , so do I have trim working or not ? ( it's enable )
Yeah I know and sorry. I used to recommend that (and run in IDE myself). Then more information came out very recently from multiple sources and it looks like IDE may or may not work and there is way to many variables to be sure right now. MS AHCI driver does work and there has been no reports of it not working. This is the downside to bleeding edge as everything is new and there is gray areas till things get sorted out. Funny thing is...wiper.exe works perfect in IDE mode. So it is not a driver issue or controller issue per say, rather just the IMPLEMENTATION of TRIM that sucks right now. Luckily, this should be one of the last major bumps that SSDs have before working "right out of the box".

AHCI is a royal PITA but its the only way that we know of right now that WILL work w/ TRIM with no guess work.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 19, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old January 19, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
i used my other system to update to 02hd, and i realize my mobo is the problem, i'm just curious as to where the "enabling" is located? is it toolbox that is used to enable trim?

Windows 7 defaults it 'on' if it detects a SSD when installing. If you dont do a clean install, you can force it on at a later date. Google that, I dont have a link handy. As for IDE --> AHCI, that too is possible post install. Check Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities * - OCZ Forum out for how.
Old January 19, 2010, 08:53 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
i tried whats posted in post 4 here and it says trim is enabled.
Updated P128 firmware - how do i enable TRIM? - The Corsair Support Forums
It will always say it is enabled. Doesn't mean that the SSD is receiving the TRIM commands.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:12 AM
Banned
F@H

The registry tweaking is easy to do . is it gone work fine after ?, I guess the reactivate will be force. if so may be a good time to change the motherboard and make a fresh install. We back at the square 1 when I said SSD was not yet mature.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:18 AM

The issue MarkOne for BT! is the drive being recognized by the toolbox. The toolbox does (IIRC) have a manual TRIM option that works in IDE or AHCI mode (just like wiper.exe). So if he can get it to bee seen on the "POS" mobo he will be golden. If it cant be seen...thus my worst case scenario options.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2010, 09:21 AM
Banned
F@H

So I can install the tool box and use the manual trim, honestly that's even an option that I prefer to auto trim
Old January 19, 2010, 09:24 AM

LOL, yeah you are like me MarkOne. SPEED NOW!!! and let me wory about cleaning up afterwards. This is why I am such a fan of OCZ Indi drives. 1.4.1 ITGC firmware is perfect for me. BUT that auto setup for manual trim the toolbox has (IIRC its called something like "SSD optimizer" or some such) is sweet to. ;)

Things like this is why I always say there is TWO best options in the SSD market right now and not one like some Intel fanboi's say. Intel and Indi, both have their pros and cons. YMMV etc etc

Last edited by AkG; January 19, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:27 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
LOL, .This is why I am such a fan of OCZ Indi drives. 1.4.1 ITGC firmware is perfect for me. ;)
you should have insist on this one. Next time, actually may be very soon. if only I can stop this PPD craziness
Old January 19, 2010, 09:31 AM

TBH the more I use 1.4.1 the more I like it. But I'd never insist on one SSD over the other. Its a Ford vs Chevy thing and I can easily see where Intel's solution is better fit for other people.