Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2010, 08:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default What SSD Should I buy?

Hey guys, I'm going to move to a SSD for my OS but I'm not too sure on the right one for me. I need your help. I don't have unlimited money so I would like to keep it under $350cdn. These are my choices.

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Agility Indilinx 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1AGT60G In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX60G In Canada.

Which is the one for me and why? What's the main difference between these? If I get the Agility I could maybe get two. Will a 60GB be enough for the OS and maybe a few frequently used programs or games? Feel free to suggest different ones under $350. Thanks for your comments.

EDIT: I picked these because I can buy locally for roughly the same price and have them in hand the same day. I don't have to buy locally though.

Old January 17, 2010, 08:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The vertex is a bit faster than the agility. Same controller, different NAND flash.
2 agilities in raid 0 will be faster than a single vertex though, but you of course exponentially increase your chance of data loss. (Raid controller, or one of the drives could error/fail/etc)

If you have to buy local, I'd probably buy a single vertex if I was you. If you can wait a bit for shipping, perhaps an Intel X-25M 160GB. (mucho random writes)
Or even wait a while to see how well the shipping versions of drives with Sandforce controllers will do. (early pre-production samples look sexy)
Old January 17, 2010, 09:07 AM

My System Specs

Either the agility or move straight up to an X25-M. $220 after MIR is ridiculous for a 60GB Vertex.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Either the agility or move straight up to an X25-M. $220 after MIR is ridiculous for a 60GB Vertex.
This X25-M?

NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive Retail Box - SSDSA2MH080G2R5Single In Canada.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:43 AM

My System Specs

NCIX is expensive and OOS nevertheless

However it seems most retailers are out of stock or outrageously priced. Just go w/ the Agility. The difference between it and the Vertex is almost nil.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
NCIX is expensive and OOS nevertheless

However it seems most retailers are out of stock or outrageously priced. Just go w/ the Agility. The difference between it and the Vertex is almost nil.
But that would be the X25-M to get when it becomes available? I can wait for a while, I don't need an SSD at the moment as my PC is fine with the 1TB Black for now and we did just spend a crap load of money on Christmas.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I am selling mines if anyone is interested.... 120 gb OCZ agility... big difference in night/day boot times.. every application loads faster....

I have two of these and RAIDed it...man it is FAST!!!! but I just decided to keep one...
Old January 17, 2010, 10:04 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
But that would be the X25-M to get when it becomes available? I can wait for a while, I don't need an SSD at the moment as my PC is fine with the 1TB Black for now and we did just spend a crap load of money on Christmas.
Yes that is the drive but I wouldn't pay $330 for it. It isn't going to be that much faster than the Agility is. You may also consider going w/ two of these
Newegg.ca - Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/40GB 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Solid State Disks
or
Newegg.ca - Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Solid State Disks

They are pretty much half of an X25-M. Both are the same drive. So I would just buy the Kingston since they are cheaper.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The difference between the Agility and Vertex is about 10 - 15% (depending the task you are doing) performance drop for the Agility.
BUT if you dont mind Raid'ing I'd go with lowfat's recommendation and get two SSDNow V 40GB'ers. Cheap way to get an X25-m gen 2 80GB.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 17, 2010, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

I'm in a similar boat as you, Spikemaul. I've also got the 1tb WD Black HDD and I'm contemplating the idea of getting an SSD.

I'm also on a relatively tight budget. Most people I've spoken to on other forums have recommended the Kingston SSD V series 128gb unit. Apparently it's the least expensive SDD on the market and it's performance is very good as far as boot times and response is concerned. The data transfer rates are not, however, very good, at least that's what people have told me. So if you move around very large amounts of data regularly then it wouldn't be the best choice.

Now I don't move large amounts of data around on my PC. I'm only concerned about responsiveness, and boot times for my OS and games. I don't know if anyone else on the forums has the Kingston SSD drive I'm referring to so perhaps someone can offer their experiences with the unit.

Regards,