Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 02:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The Falcon 2 is basically an Agility w/ 34nm NAND. The original Falcon or Vertex will beat it by anywhere from (on avg) 10- 15%. Its a very nice unit and like the Agility are great bang for your buck SSD's. BUT it is not a "flagship" enthusiast grade SSD. IF price is a concern they are a very good option. IF performance is #1 priority...not so much. ;)

So Falcon 2 is a better choice comparing to Agility ? (performance/cost)
Both suport TRIM option aka garbage cleaner ?

G.SKILL Falcon II 128GB - 319$ without MIR
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL Falcon II 128GB Indilinx Eco 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD W/ 64MB Buffer - FM-25S2I-128GBF2 In Canada.

OCZ Agility Indilinx 120GB - $324.99 with $30 MIR
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Agility Indilinx 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1AGT120G In Canada. Technology

BTW. Im not looking for enthusiast grade SSD since they are cost too much now.
|::|CPU: i7 920 "D0"@?|::|MOBO: EVGA Classified|::|RAM: 6GB G.Skill Trident ddr3|::|GPU: BFG GTX 275|::|HDD: 2xSamsung F1 1TB|::|PSU: Ultra X3 1000W|::|Sound: Xonar DX|::|Powered by Heatkiller 3.0 LT/EK GTX275/EK Classified/Feser One X-360 TFC|::|Silverstone TJ 07
LCD: Samsung T260 25,5|::|Logitech Z5500
Project: Classified by Hausner - work in progress.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Actually when 1.5 comes out (for all mfg'ers) ALL Indi drives will have ITGC AND TRIM on the same firmware. Sad day but OCZ just lost a competitive advantage. :(

The Agility is a great bang for your buck ssd. Very good kit at a killer price.....BUT
The Vertex is on sale for over at NCIX. Killer price for a killer drive.
BUT Im not a fan of MIR's and usually dont count them in my calculations when buying.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 6, 2010, 02:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Actually when 1.5 comes out (for all mfg'ers) ALL Indi drives will have ITGC AND TRIM on the same firmware. Sad day but OCZ just lost a competitive advantage. :(

The Agility is a great bang for your buck ssd. Very good kit at a killer price.....BUT
The Vertex is on sale for over at NCIX. Killer price for a killer drive.
BUT Im not a fan of MIR's and usually dont count them in my calculations when buying.
That the point I hate MIR`s and its make a big difference for me to buy something cheaper but with MIR and actualy pay more with tax then wait 3-4months to get MIR cashback. 60GB is too small for me so im looking only for 120GB version and ocz vertex 120GB is much more expensive right now that Falcon II and its not the same performance/price level.

So im gonna order Falcon II 128GB version for $319 without MIR and stick with that for now until we get some interesting sandforce power ssd`s.

Thanks AkG!
|::|CPU: i7 920 "D0"@?|::|MOBO: EVGA Classified|::|RAM: 6GB G.Skill Trident ddr3|::|GPU: BFG GTX 275|::|HDD: 2xSamsung F1 1TB|::|PSU: Ultra X3 1000W|::|Sound: Xonar DX|::|Powered by Heatkiller 3.0 LT/EK GTX275/EK Classified/Feser One X-360 TFC|::|Silverstone TJ 07
LCD: Samsung T260 25,5|::|Logitech Z5500
Project: Classified by Hausner - work in progress.
Old February 7, 2010, 02:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Just bought from CanadaComputers that 60Gb Vertex.
RFD
Old February 7, 2010, 04:28 AM
Top Prospect

How does the 60gb Kingston V+ unit compare in the grand scheme of things, performance-wise ? I think the 40gb Kingston SSD is still one of the best performance units available, especially for the money. In some benchmarks, it still performs well against the much more expensive models.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:15 AM

The older SNVP225's were Samsung based, basically the same as the Corsair P series or OCZ Summit. The new SNVP325 has firmware issues. It really is a great SSD...BUT it has an extremely immature firmware. On my testbench in my "stutter test" I got results of over 700ms response time. This is NOT good. I would give it a firmware update or two before considering it, BUT when they do get it updated it may turn out to be a real BEAST as its small 4k write numbers are impressive to say the least (they beat a Vertex)!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 7, 2010, 05:24 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
..... I got results of over 700ms response time. This is NOT good..
AkG put it that way 0,7s it will look DAM good

unbelievable what they thing to put those thing on the market.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:46 AM

Good point Markone. To clarify 700ms is dangerously close to dual JMicron controller levels (eg the OCZ Apex) of max "responsiveness". A Indilinx controller will hit about 108ms and a Intel V will hit 320ms. The longer it takes in this test the higher the chances of the dreaded "stuttering" occurring (my cut off is 1/3 of a second or 333ms for a pass for this test). I never noticed it stuttering in daily use and I used for over a week to really see if it would stutter....BUT even though it is not noticeable, the performance of it does suffer in real world tests. It has such potential (as seen by the synth tests results which are for the most part VERY good) but it needs a firmware update. I put it all down to Toshiba and their lack of experience in building high performance SSD controllers.