Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 04:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
There's no TRIM support in RAID, so how do you deal with performance degradation later on? Break up the RAID and use TRIM on the individual drives?
Intel's not only degrade slower, they down degrade as badly when they do get to a degraded state. I'd image the "drive" w/ Acronis. Split the raid and do a Sani Erase every so often IF I wanted to get back all the speed. For most situations a TONY Trim would / should be enough. No need to break the array or mess around with backups. Should in theory bring back 80% or more of the lost speed. Should in theory work on Intel drives.

Guide For those in raid, or those who just want a drive with consolidated free space and clean Nand...bring on TONY-TRIM

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 1, 2010, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can just use the wipe clean feature in ccleaner does the same thing as tony trim or works just as good from my test.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The PS-100 is a Phison controller based unit. While it will not stutter like an old JM based SSD...it is SLOW. I have seen Crystal DiskMark 4k r/w scores down in HARD DRIVE territory (sub 2mb/s). I would pass on that drive even if it was cheaper. YMMV
So the Vertex is the way to go then (for me at least) ?
Old February 1, 2010, 08:54 AM

Agility, Falcon 2 on the best bang for your buck end of things. Vertex, Falcon 1, Torqx on the high end (id include the X25 gen 2 but they are rare right now, and I'm purposely ignoring the Intel V series). Any of those would be a great fit. Find the one which best fits your budget and enjoy :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

What do you guys think about the Solid2 from OCZ?

i am thinking to buy 2x30gb or 1x60Gb.
RFD
Old February 2, 2010, 10:53 AM

Think of the Solid 2 as an "Agility Lite". IMHO I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole as the agility is about as scaled down as a Indi barefoot controller based SSD can get without serious power/speed degradation. This is OCZ's BAD answer to the SSDNow V 40GB / V series from Intel.

Old February 4, 2010, 09:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

AkG, what do you think of the Falcon II compared to the OCZ Vertex. The Falcon II is about $50 cheaper, would that be a better buy?
Old February 4, 2010, 09:21 AM

The Falcon 2 is basically an Agility w/ 34nm NAND. The original Falcon or Vertex will beat it by anywhere from (on avg) 10- 15%. Its a very nice unit and like the Agility are great bang for your buck SSD's. BUT it is not a "flagship" enthusiast grade SSD. IF price is a concern they are a very good option. IF performance is #1 priority...not so much. ;)

Old February 6, 2010, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just a heads up:

Canada Computers has the OCZ Vertex 60GB with $50 instant discount, plus $40 MIR, until Sunday, February 7th.

And the OCZ Vertex 120GB with a $50 instant discount, plus $50 MIR until the 11th.

I'm picking up my 60GB Vertex today.
Old February 6, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ncix has all the vertex on for the same price.