Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I sure Im not stepping on anyones toes when i say all of us here at HWC are all glad to help out....though before you make your decision....and just to make things EXTRA confusing. The V+ is a Samsung based controller. Same as the OCZ Summit / Corsair P series. So they are only "better" when compared to the original JM based V's. IMHO Kingston should have called the V 40GB something DIFFERENT as it IS confusing if you don't keep a frickin' flow chart (or really, really work with all of em a lot)!

The V+'s are decent choices....but the V 40GB is still a better deal. Hope that helps make your decision easier. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 18, 2010, 04:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've decided to go with the X25-M. I know that I'll be very happy going to an SSD from my 1TB Black and I'll definately have more questions once I get it. I'm not too sure where to get it from but It will have to wait for about a month as one of our cars broke down lastnight. The car has to come first because without it I can't commute to work and I don't think my PC would drive too good on the highway. Thanks for all the comments. Good job HWC
Old January 19, 2010, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

AkG, I'm glad I'm in good company. Not everyone would be as friendly or as patient when asking questions and I'm sure you guys get asked the same (or similar ) questions all the time, which can be really frustrating...

Thanks for tolerating me so far...
Old January 19, 2010, 06:21 AM

No prob Olorin, happy to help.

All I ask is please make a new thread next time. I might not have noticed your questions if I wasnt lookin in this thread already....and thread jackin' is frowned upon around here ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
I've decided to go with the X25-M. I know that I'll be very happy going to an SSD from my 1TB Black and I'll definately have more questions once I get it. I'm not too sure where to get it from but It will have to wait for about a month as one of our cars broke down lastnight. The car has to come first because without it I can't commute to work and I don't think my PC would drive too good on the highway. Thanks for all the comments. Good job HWC
I feel your pain, but later on when you DO get one one tell us how you like it....Might help convince some other peeps who are on the fence (on whether or not to get a SSD) to jump in and try em out!

Old January 19, 2010, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
All I ask is please make a new thread next time. I might not have noticed your questions if I wasnt lookin in this thread already....and thread jackin' is frowned upon around here ;)
Thanks for the tip. I apologize to the original poster for interrupting; sometimes I just don't think and start posting without considering the true intent of the thread. That was my foolish mistake.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:40 AM

My System Specs

Just wanted to add that the X25-V does indeed support TRIM. And the Kingston should be supporting TRIM very shortly.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry guys, one last question. Is this the 40gb Kingston drive you were referring to ? Kingston SNV125-S2/40GB SSD Bundle for Desktop - Prophecy.co.za Is this the one I should be going for in terms of pure performance ?
Old January 20, 2010, 03:05 PM

That is the SSDNow V series 40GB we were referring to (that is the desktop kit, the other version only comes with the ssd and no extras but is cheaper) and while its one of the best value SSDs out there, that is not the same as saying it the best performance drive. Its a good drive, with killer small r/w performance BUT in single drive vs single drive the Vertex and X25M gen 2 will beat it in 8 out of 10 situations for the vertex and 10 out of 10 for the X25m g2. If money is secondary to pure performance you are much better off w/ a Vertex or X25-M gen 2.

The thing which makes the V 40GB so tempting is the fact that they are so damn cheap! IF you buy one and feel you need more power than a single SSDNow 40GB can offer, you can get a second one and raid them for about the same coin that a 60GB Vertex goes for. Like everything in life there are trade-offs. :)

Best bang for you buck
SSDNow V 40GB. X25-V 40GB, Agility, Falcon 2

Best mainstream:
Vertex/Falcon/torqx, X25-M, Agility EX (SLC SSD)

Old January 21, 2010, 05:01 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks Akg for your help. Much appreciated.