Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2010, 09:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
wtf is wrong with this bulldog? does it have a case of rabies or something? oh wait, it's a bulldog. can't even spell my username correctly

+1. it's primarily just the bulldog known as 'akg' (blech), he is apparently a hwc staff and has some bells and whistles attached to his username, so it seems as if he's more than one person
Let me give you a little hint. Don't start a pissing match with the staff if you want to stick around.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Running RAID0 for my OS drive... Nothing really important that I couldnt download again or load again on it. It's just not a good idea to keep important data on a raid 0 drive. RAID0 is meant for performance.
The reason RAID 0 is not a good idea for an OS disk is mainly because of uptime, not data protection.
Old January 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I love my average read rate of 150MB/s with my 2 x WD blacks in RAID 0 for OS,gaming and production . In the event of failure my user account and other important data thats critical is backed up daily to my WD green drive that I have for backup and bulk storage. Personally I couldnt ask for more with this setup and from what I have personally seen with the WD blacks,they are good sturdy drives for RAID arrays. Friend of mine has been running the same HDD setup as me for about a year with zero issues, and if you have some good google-fu and windows know-how, I dont forsee any reason to reinstall windows.I recently installed windows for the first time in almost 2 years (started with vista ultimate that ran flawlessly for about year, then upgraded that with a beta copy of win 7 and continued to upgrade each beta version of windows until I had retail).

Here are some HDtach results with my current setup. Ran the long test on each drive, now I know the results are obviously one sided but you can get a rough idea of what your looking for. I predict 2 x WD green drives to have an avg read rate of 110MB/s 16ms response time given the results of one drive.

Single Green drive

2 x WD 500gb RAID 0

I forgot to keep the screenshot of a single drive, but the avg read rate was 97MB/s 12.4ms for a single black drive.

Last edited by Fudd Rucker; January 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Mmm. Most definitely are raids sexy. Thanks for the screens Fudd.
Old January 25, 2010, 11:13 PM
Rookie

Hey Fudd what raid controller are you using?
Old January 26, 2010, 11:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not quite sure which controller im using, pretty sure its the gigabyte sata2 chip im using for the raid controller. I love how simple Win 7 was with setting up a raid array.