Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Gee, thanks for that. I really didn't know that RAID0 had the highest risk of failure. Thank the heavens you came along, otherwise disasterous things would've happened. Even the apocalypse! Oh what would I have done?! My life was on the edge of ruins! Oh thank you jolly good sir! You've saved my life! My knight in shining armor!

Sarcasm: The lowest form of wit.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

KeepSix....it looks like "YoungMan" is an apt handle for him (this is the same "adult" who claims Intel and their X25-m has magical powers that can "essentially" turn MLC nand into SLC). It certainly will be interesting to see what happens when he cops a 'tude like that with Enaberif or some of the other regulars. Personally, it looks like another peep will soon be joining o0o in my ignore list. ;)

Raid 0 is a bad idea for most people. If you use and understand the risks, good for you. I've run it in a few setups. Coping attitude with someone stating these obvious risks....not such a great idea. Might want to tone it down in the future YoungMan.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 16, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 about youngman

to the op, why not just try the green, to see if you like the speed or not. Then go for a black if needed ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 16, 2010, 09:23 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Think of it this way. Luck set it up that you have to lose 1 drive. Now you either get to have 1 single drive or a RAID0 setup with 2 drives for your OS. BUT, you still have to lose 1, because fate hates you. Either of those options, you still lose.
That said, don't put important data on your OS drive, and you can RAID0 all you want.
Think of it this way: learn about statistics before you try arguing about probabilities. The probability of one out of two drives failing is higher than the probability of a single drive failing by itself. Most people don't realize this, which is why I pointed it out.
Old January 16, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Think of it this way: learn about statistics before you try arguing about probabilities. The probability of one out of two drives failing is higher than the probability of a single drive failing by itself. Most people don't realize this, which is why I pointed it out.
Math.....some peeps dont get it.

I have used RAID0 for OS's plenty of times, short-stroked and fully partioned, have yet to have a drive die while in RAID. That said I have had plenty of drives up and die just lucky to never had them in a RAID at the time. But I also format about every 3 months.
Since you already have the green drives I would either buy a black for a OS or use one of the greens for now and put the cash you have for a Black away and save for a SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 16, 2010, 11:33 AM
MVP

I'd say get a Caviar Black and use it for the OS and programs, then use the Greens for media in RAID 1. You get good performance for programs and sufficient capacity for media (with a failsafe in case a drive goes).

Also, I'd actually change a couple parts you're thinking of buying.
First, the CM Silent Pro series isn't actually that great in terms of quality. They have very poor voltage control (if high efficiency). Besides, 1000W is WAY overkill for that rig. I'd say get something by Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Silverstone, etc. in the 750-850W range.
Second, Fermi is only a couple months off and HD 5xxx is already here? Why go dropping $200 on something already outdated? If you have a n release, so you'll get a better card even if Fermi is too expensive. If you don't have a carry-over card, get one of the new ATI cards. card you can temporarily carry over to the new rig until Fermi releases, that's what I'd do. Big price drops are expected o
Old January 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
MVP

Looks like a lot of uptight people online.

You want proof about the Intel drives, look at the presentations.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Not a lot of uptight people online, probably just different expectations than what you're used to at other sites.....

Differences in opinion on hardware options are to be expected (in fact they're encouraged), but HWC forums have been built from day one on respectful discussion based on fact (including personal experience) rather than resorting to confrontational posts. What you've perceived as "uptight" is simply the community's response to what they felt went over the line as far as proper HWC forum etiquite.

As to the topic of the safety of Raid 0.....

I, like yourself, haven't experienced many hard drive failures (in all honesty, can only think of one that went before it's time, and that was caused by a design flaw in an external enclosure), and generally never have anything on my drives that cannot be replaced if the data can't be retrieved. OTOH, I know many folks who have indeed had drives fail, and have one gentleman I know who I wouldn't let within 5 feet of a hard drive as he seems to go through them like a knife through hot butter.

Any recommendation for Raid 0 should always be accompanied by a reasonable explaination of the inherent risks involved.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
KeepSix....it looks like "YoungMan" is an apt handle for him (this is the same "adult" who claims Intel and their X25-m has magical powers that can "essentially" turn MLC nand into SLC). It certainly will be interesting to see what happens when he cops a 'tude like that with Enaberif or some of the other regulars. Personally, it looks like another peep will soon be joining o0o in my ignore list. ;)

Raid 0 is a bad idea for most people. If you use and understand the risks, good for you. I've run it in a few setups. Coping attitude with someone stating these obvious risks....not such a great idea. Might want to tone it down in the future YoungMan.
wtf is wrong with this bulldog? does it have a case of rabies or something? oh wait, it's a bulldog. can't even spell my username correctly

Quote:

+1. it's primarily just the bulldog known as 'akg' (blech), he is apparently a hwc staff and has some bells and whistles attached to his username, so it seems as if he's more than one person
Old January 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Running RAID0 for my OS drive... Nothing really important that I couldnt download again or load again on it. It's just not a good idea to keep important data on a raid 0 drive. RAID0 is meant for performance.