Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Should I go SSD or A WD Velociraptor

What do you guy"s think any help here would be great The HD will be used for windows only
Thx

Old January 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

sdd for sure. raptors are overpriced.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
sdd for sure. raptors are overpriced.
Really? are they that much better
Oh I should add $ is not a problem here.

Last edited by norfolk; January 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If $$ isn't a problem. Grab a couple Intel X-25Es and raid them up on a hardware raid controller for mind boggling transfer rates.

Since a raptor isn't that much less than an SSD, there's no point in having a raptor. They're just too slow compared to SSDs.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
MVP

Raptors are not as reliable either.

Raiding SSDs is not really recommended, since you lose TRIM support, as of now anyway.
Also, with Intel SSDs, you can make them last a crap load longer just by having more free space. Up to 3.5x more endurance before they die. By far the best and the only SSDs worth getting right now.
Old January 15, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't believe raptors were ever worth the money... SSD's are still expensive, but way faster than raptors, especially demolishing them in access times.. and if money isn't an issue you should have a few SSD's..
Old January 15, 2010, 06:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome thx for all the Help I guess it"s SSD"s FTW.

Old January 15, 2010, 06:42 AM
MVP

Here's my problem with VRaptors:
They cost upward of $200 for 300GB. Now, WD Caviar Black 2TBs have better performance than the VRaptors for $300 and have 6.66x the capacity. SSDs have worse price / capacity, but at least they're significantly faster.

As for getting SSDs, I'd get either an OCZ Vertex or a Corsair P series.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post

As for getting SSDs, I'd get either an OCZ Vertex or a Corsair P series.
I was just over at the Canada Computers web site looking Looks like I will be going the OCZ way I just have to wait till they get stock.

Old January 15, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Grab a pair of Vertex's (or Vertex EX's if as you say money is not a concern). Drop 1.4.1 onto them (ITGC) and forget about trim. Trim is slower and as others have said....its hit or miss with RAID.

Yeah the Corsair P is Samsung based and are simply not as good as the X line. The Corsair X series is the same as the OCZ Vertex, Patriot Torqx (not the Torqx 28 though its a Sammy), GSkill Falcon, etc. BUT only the vertex has ITGC right now.

Where there are rumours of a new 600Gb Vraptor I would not recommend them right now. VRaptor's have their place but they are showing their age and thus are not my first choice for non SSD systems right now.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr