Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2010, 06:20 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

Where there are rumours of a new 600Gb Vraptor I would not recommend them right now. VRaptor's have their place but they are showing their age and thus are not my first choice for non SSD systems right now.
I was over at the WD web site and typically they really hipe these VP"s as being the end all when it come"s to Fast transfer rate"s, etc.

Old January 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default SSDs

I am still contemplating if I should get a Velociraptor over SSD... what is the reliability on the SSDs? the warranty on some of them are not long ... I don't want it to fail after 3 years of use? since there are no moving parts....

if you use the SSD as the main operating system and storage for the other regular SATA drives.. doesn't that bottlenecks the performance of the system?

Last edited by Frepz; January 15, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The noticeable difference between the performance impression from an HDD to a SSD is the seek time. No matter how fast the transfer rate of the HDD is, you'll still feel that the operating system is more snappy with an SSD.

Game loading time is another thing depending on how the game is packaged.

In terms of reliability, as long as you do the necessary work to prevent unnecessary wear/tear on the NAND. SLC will be obviously better than MLC, but it's gonna be quite a bit more expensive as well.

I'd say the lifespan of an SSD is just as good as HDDs, if not better (considering the failure rate vs NAND wearing)

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old January 15, 2010, 07:55 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk View Post
I was over at the WD web site and typically they really hipe these VP"s as being the end all when it come"s to Fast transfer rate"s, etc.
Compared to any 7200rpm drives they are. Comapred to 10k SATA (not SCSI) they are (as they are the only one). This is not the same thing as saying they are the fastest drives out there bar none. A 15k SCSI drive would eat a VRaptor for lunch. Any modern gen SSD (Samsung, Intel, Indininx) will eat a Vraptor for lunch.

About the only area where some SSDs lose to the Vraptor is in sequential read and writes (Intel's top out at about 100MB/s). BUT many (like the vertex) destroy a VRaptor in small, medium AND large reads and writes.

As with any mass produced piece of kit you will on average get years and years of trouble free experience, is there a chance of getting a DOA, yes. But the chances are probably greater in getting a bad HDD compared to a bad SSD. TBH, in all likely hood the average lifespan is probably going to be longer than a HDD, but we dont have data YET to prove this one way or the other. If you set them up properly there is no reason they cant be going strong for 10yrs or more. This is why Patriot offers 10yr warranty on their version of the Indilinx SSD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I thought Velociraptor drives are meant for enterprise workstations and/or servers? .. if you are running a server or workstation would u rely on SSDs?

Initially, when WD made the Raptor drive, its function is to be reliable, fast and redundant?
Old January 15, 2010, 08:32 AM

SLC based ssds are designed for the server enviroment. MLC really isnt. Intel knows that there is a very good chance that SSDs will replace HDDs in the server room at some point in the next decade. This is why Intel go into them just recently. The only thing really holding SSDs back was lack of ability to save its data in case of a power outage. The new Sandforce OCZ one is rumored to have on board "super" capaictors to take care of this weakness.

All hard drive can and do suffer from mechanical failure. Server grade hdds are more robust and have been tested longer than home enviro ones...but that doesnt really mean all tha much either. You still can get a bad HDD, its just not as likely (and TBH...you will never see an array of VRaptors in a high end server enviro. That is the sole domain of true SCSI drives).

If you are not comofortable going with tech that doesnt have a PROVEN track record get a VRaptor (like certain HWC forum mebers do). You will lose some speed, gain a LOT of space, and have a good setup. BUT you will lose that sense of "speed" that only SSDs can provide. Only you can decide what your comfort level is....BUT SSDs are IMHO just as reliable if not more than ANY HDD, but peace of mind is priceless ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
MVP

I disagree. If he wants something with a PROVEN track record, get the Caviar Black 2TB. As he said, money's not really an issue so he can afford one. He'll get almost 7x the capacity and it'll even be a little bit faster.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:20 AM

How is a drive which has been just released..."proven"? The 2TB Black is FAST, but the latency is still lower w/ a VRaptor. If this was a "which hard drive to get" I would usually recommend the 2tb balck....BUT the OP obviously is concerned about SPEED and reliability. SSDS win in speed, but the next fastest is still the raptors as they are 10k drive. In reliability the Vraptors are a known quantity. Now please don't get me wrong the 2tb is a beast, but it is a beast w/ first gen new tech in it. That is how they reduced the ms from double to single digits. IF I was getting a 7200rpm hdd the WD 2TB is the TOP of my list. BUT if money is not a concern a 10k trumps a 7.2k. A SSD + WD Green or a VRaptor + WD Green is the best "money is no object" setup. SPEED for the OS, big arsed (but power efficient) WD Green for storage.

Old January 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
I disagree.
disagree with AkG. ..better wake up earlier kid
Old January 15, 2010, 01:40 PM
MVP

Dude, Intel SSDs all the way. It's the tiny read and writes that matter for OS drives, and this is what they excel at.
There's an IDF presentation showing how you can essentially turn their MLC drives into server environment ones (SLC).