Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Default Network Switch(es) Query

Hey guys, I need to buy a couple of switches.
1 - in the basement with 8 ports
1 - 2nd story of the house with 8 ports

I prefer a gigabit switch. I have a few HTPC's, two PC's, 1 camera, PS3, then the rest is like TV's with network support, printer, AVR, etc

I am looking for switch without a fan, and something that is a great bang for the buck. House is wired in Cat6a. I would imagine jumbo frame support is required. dont think i need anything managed, but I know nothing about this networking stuff so looking for some good advice before I make the wrong purchase...hehe...

thanks
S
Old January 14, 2010, 12:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've always been happy with my dlink 8 port gigabit switch, no issues with it at all, runs dead silent.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

GS108 - ProSafeŽ 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps - NETGEAR.com

I've had that switch for the past 2 years and it never let me down :)
Old January 14, 2010, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Got a 8-port non-green D-Link Gigabit switch and a 5-port Green D-Link Gigabit switch. Both have worked flawlessly for quite some time. Also have a 5-port Negear Gigabit switch as well which also hasn't had any issues.

I don't think any unmanaged switch has problems. They don't exactly need to do much.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've found that there's not an amazing amount of difference between switches coming from different vendors.. I've had or have Linksys, d-link and belkin switches and I've not had a problem with any one of them.

I'd just look for the cheapest 8 port passively cooled gigabit switch XD
Old January 14, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I second netgear prosafe. I have a 24 port gigabit and it's been running 24/7 for the last 3 years with no issues. Also most prosafe equipment is in a metal encolsure and some of the larger ones are rack mountable. I also think it has a lifetime warranty but i am not sure 100% on that.
Old January 15, 2010, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Perfect - thnx guys.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you don't mind eBaying look for the Dell 27xx series switches. They are tanks and passively cooled. In normal mode they do everything gigabit networking can do. If you put them in managed mode they are fully managed which is nice to have in case you want to use it later.

Dell sold the 2708 for $100 new so there are a lot of them and they go pretty cheap. I've seen them sell for twenty-ish shipping in.

I agree, though, that is is pretty hard to get a poor unmanaged switch. Any name brand should work just fine.