Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2010, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default Just got my Vertex 60GB

Hey,

I just got my OCZ Vertex 60GB. First impressions are amazing...this thing flies. I really can't believe the difference between the SSD and my Western Digital 1TB HDD. Windows boots in about 25-30 secs vs almost 1min on my HDD. Programs load instantly, no hiccups anywere. Everything just feels "smoother", it's hard to explain, I guess the numbers tell the story lol.

In the end, I think this was money well spent and there will be another one in the near future

*Question* How does TRIM work?, do I have to download and install software or is it a command built into Win7. I done some quick searches but have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks!

Gigabyte 890GX / AMD Phenom II x6 1055 / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB / EVGA GTX470 SC+ / Stock Cooling (Yet) / Corsair TX850 / Corsair Nova 128GB SSD / Antec 902/ Windows 7 PRO 64 bit/ 24" Acer LED Monitor
Old January 17, 2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

windows 7 boots in 7-8 seconds for me
im using a 60 gb vertex turbo

25-30 sec seams very long !!
Old January 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

do you have the newest firmware ?
Old January 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_tileguy View Post
windows 7 boots in 7-8 seconds for me
im using a 60 gb vertex turbo

25-30 sec seams very long !!
Like 75% of boot up time is motherboard related.
Old January 17, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Like 75% of boot up time is motherboard related.
yeah... my motherboard is quite slow.. I've turned my pc on, walked across my room, turned lights on, then gone to my laptop and turned it on, and my laptop got into windows 7 first.. and i have 2 60gb vertex's in raid0 in my pc compared to my 80gb intel x25m in my laptop
Old January 17, 2010, 04:09 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
yeah... my motherboard is quite slow.. I've turned my pc on, walked across my room, turned lights on, then gone to my laptop and turned it on, and my laptop got into windows 7 first.. and i have 2 60gb vertex's in raid0 in my pc compared to my 80gb intel x25m in my laptop
If I have my external optical drives plugged in my X58A-UD7 will take at least a 1 minute 30 seconds
Old January 17, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally for me, I don't care how long bootup is. All I care about is overall system performance when it is in a Windows environment.
Old January 19, 2010, 03:10 AM
Top Prospect

20-30 seconds compared to how long it took prior to the ssd is a nice increase and as for overall system performance it is no slacker either. After playing Dragon Age, I see my loading times cut drastically and the same goes with Crysis, much faster thna regular HDD.

I have searched the OCZ forums and is it right that you have to run wiper.exe (is it TRIM)?

Also, I have recently ordered another Vertex, just couldn't resist the temptation of trying them in RAID0

Gigabyte 890GX / AMD Phenom II x6 1055 / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB / EVGA GTX470 SC+ / Stock Cooling (Yet) / Corsair TX850 / Corsair Nova 128GB SSD / Antec 902/ Windows 7 PRO 64 bit/ 24" Acer LED Monitor
Old January 19, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxRithxXx View Post
20-30 seconds compared to how long it took prior to the ssd is a nice increase and as for overall system performance it is no slacker either. After playing Dragon Age, I see my loading times cut drastically and the same goes with Crysis, much faster thna regular HDD.

I have searched the OCZ forums and is it right that you have to run wiper.exe (is it TRIM)?

Also, I have recently ordered another Vertex, just couldn't resist the temptation of trying them in RAID0
IF you are running 1.4 there is no need to run wiper.exe
Wiper.exe is basically a work around they implemented to get TRIM before TRIM was available (ie its basically a manual TRIM / ITGC)

When you go raid, upgrade to 1.4.1 as TRIM will not work on RAID'ed drives (yet). The x.1 version is the ITGC version which is actually slightly faster than the TRIM (1.4) version. Let the system idle every once in awhile and you will never have any slow downs :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr