Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   RAID 1 Questions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/27545-raid-1-questions.html)

Kilauea January 8, 2010 07:46 AM

RAID 1 Questions

I haven't fully read about it, but I am possibly looking to create a RAID 1 array(the one where you lose speed, but get a backup in case of problem) on my father's computer, he actually asked me about that without knowing it existed.

Do I need to have the exact same drive, same manufacturer, same model ? The system already exists as a single HDD computer, do I need to erase it all or will it just start to copy(including what is already on it) on the other drive when the array is created ?

The HDD in question is a 500gb 7200.11 which apparently is safe.

CMetaphor January 8, 2010 07:48 AM

doesn't need to be the same hard drive or capacity, as a raid 1 will mirror the smaller of the two drives onto the other. (Ex: you have a 320gb hard drive and a 250gb hard drive, you'll get a 250gb Raid 1 mirror from the two). Normally all data is lost on a raid 1 array when it is initialized though... Haven't seen any that can create an array from an existing formatted disk.

Jack Rabbit January 8, 2010 08:26 AM

How are you going to make the RAID? Software in the OS? Fake RAID card? Hardware RAID card?

Hardware solutions generally limit the visible size to the smallest disk but you can mix and match. You just get waste.

If you use software RAID in Windows I think you can mirror a volume on a dynamic partition 'live'. Say you put in a 1Tb; make a partition the same size as the 500 you have, make them both dynamic, then set the new one to be a mirror. I'm not 100% sure about that but I think that's how it works. The advantage would be you could use the other half of the 1Tb drive for something else; it just would not be protected.

You should not see any significant speed reduction, especially with a good hardware card. You are just writing the same data to two drives; no fancy calculations, no striping.

MarkOne January 8, 2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 314401)
If you use software RAID in Windows I think you can mirror a volume on a dynamic partition 'live'. Say you put in a 1Tb; make a partition the same size as the 500 you have, make them both dynamic, then set the new one to be a mirror. I'm not 100% sure about that but I think that's how it works. The advantage would be you could use the other half of the 1Tb drive for something else; it just would not be protected.
You should not see any significant speed reduction, especially with a good hardware card. You are just writing the same data to two drives; no fancy calculations, no striping.

Yes you can do live, but dynamic disk have only 1 partition, they use volume, so you create 2 volumes of 500 gb on the Tetra, and you mirror one with the 500 volume on the other disk.

as an other example you can extend also the volume to 3 differents size of disks , usefull for server when you want to expend, but in that case if a disk fail, you lost everything

Kilauea January 8, 2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 314401)
How are you going to make the RAID? Software in the OS? Fake RAID card? Hardware RAID card?

I'm not too sure on what I will do yet, I want to keep it simple. The mobo is a Gigabyte 785GM-US2H, but as I said I haven't done my homework yet, so I am pretty clueless as to how it works and which one I should do.

bushwhacker January 8, 2010 09:43 AM

You can build a RAID 1 array with the existing drive & data and adding a second drive. Time to start reading as to the details using the existing hardware ... RTFM comes to mind. :punk:
Always backup before proceeding.

Haven't a clue what "a 500gb 7200.11 which apparently is safe" means, though. It's wearing a condom? .. it's been tested for SIDs? :haha:

Kilauea January 8, 2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwhacker (Post 314439)
Haven't a clue what "a 500gb 7200.11 which apparently is safe" means, though. It's wearing a condom? .. it's been tested for SIDs? :haha:

Yup, its wearing a condom :bananafunky:

No, I talked to someone at Seagate and it seems that my drive isn't affected by the problem they have. I said its apparently safe, because I wonder how much I can trust that information.

bissa January 8, 2010 09:56 AM

as far as I know, it does not slow it down, it just does not speed it up.

Jack Rabbit January 8, 2010 05:43 PM

options...

Mark,

Partitions on basic disks, volumes on dynamic disks, right. Thank for the reminder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilauea (Post 314428)
I'm not too sure on what I will do yet, I want to keep it simple. The mobo is a Gigabyte 785GM-US2H, but as I said I haven't done my homework yet, so I am pretty clueless as to how it works and which one I should do.

I have never used the SB710 chipset but I would not get my hopes up very high for a consumer grade main board. If the RAID can be turned on and maintain the existing partition the system will probably not boot because Windows does not have the Fake RAID drivers. You can repair it and load them but you have to jump through hoops to get there. As noted above, make a backup.

If you want to use the Fake RAID on the mainboard you are probably better off planning for a re-install. This would be my suggestion for safest balanced with cheapest option.