Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 09:16 AM
Trial Member

Default SSD (to AppData or not to AppData)

I recently purchased an Intel G2 SSD, did a drive-to-drive copy and then performed the various tweaks recommended (disabling indexing, write caching on the SSD only, etc). I moved all my Documents, Pictures, Videos to my drive D but left the rest of my user profile (including the AppData tree) on the SSD. Quick boots, instant loads of all resident programs after login, and even Outlook with a bloated .pst file loaded in the blink of an eye.

All was well right? Well, I read various posts that said, you should move your entire User profile to drive D. Hmm... that and my shortcut to just mirror my Windows 7 OS drive to the SSD left me wondering if I should redo my install on the SSD cleanly. Perhaps Windows 7 would lay itself out differently on the SSD (someone had speculated that in an article) and I could setup my entire user profile on the Drive D.

So I proceeded to do just that. However, now after I login I can hear my drive D accessing away as it loads various programs in the tray (presumably accessing data in the AppData tree) and it's slower to complete the login. Of course, that big Outlook file is not nearly as quick to load so Outlook doesn't snap to attention when I load it.

So, my questions are...

I get that this configuration will prolong the life of my SSD but what's the point if the AppData isn't on the SSD?

How much of a concern is it to locate AppData on the SSD? I poked around in the AppData tree and noticed there is a ../AppData/Local/Temp directory. I think I'd want that on Drive D. It also looks like Mozilla has a profile cache

What other things should I watch out for? What are your takes on the Pros/cons of locating AppData on the SSD?
Old January 6, 2010, 09:45 AM

My System Specs

Do you have a link per chance on how to move the Appdata folder? I would love to move mine to my faster drive.

Now to your question, I wouldn't move it. I wouldn't imagine there are a whole ton of writes. And the X25-M is a capable drive. There is no need to worry about it failing anytime soon.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Do you have a link per chance on how to move the Appdata folder? I would love to move mine to my faster drive.
I try it one time. it was so much hassle. don't know if I still have the link