Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

View Poll Results: Which one?
Intel X25-M (34nm G2) 11 84.62%
G.Skill Falcon (Barefoot) 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup reads are important, but a modern OS is still writing a crapload of little files (and updates to files) on a regular (some would go as far as saying constantly) basis.

On PAPER a X25-M g2 will wipe the floor with an Indlinx SSD. In reality they are neck and neck (their strengths balance out their weaknesses and vice versa, resulting in a kick ass power house drive). Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both will give you a faster feeling system. Both will load most apps so fast that even if you were timing it....the dif would be so small as to be negligible.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 7, 2010, 04:30 PM
Top Prospect

What read speeds are we looking at?

I'm trying to understand the significance of Intel's prowess to read/write
smaller chunks of data (ex. 4k) vs significance of Vertex/Falcon's prowess to
read/write larger chunks of data.

LoL, AkG you must be psychic.
I just wrote the above, and as soon as I posted it, you put up your response.
OCZ Vertex 120GB, Kingston V 128GB, Raptor X,
Antec Mini P180 CM UCP 700W
Samsung 240T, 226BW
Logitech G15, Microsoft X8

Watercooled by:
Swiftech Storm Rev.2 , 4870x2 FCB
1xMCP350 w/Petrastops , MCR220 QP , MCRES-MICRO , Tygon 1/2" ID
2 x Scythe Kama Ultra 1000
Old January 7, 2010, 04:37 PM

Your looking at over 200MB/s reads for both in most situations. The numbers are so damn large that they are mind boggling.
In 4k chunks you are looking at mid 40s for the Intel and high 20's for the Indi drives. Compared to 1mb/s for a HDD. Insanely fast.

For writes you are looking at 100MB/s at most for the Intel and 150mb/s for Indi drives.
In 4k chunks you are looking at mid 40s for the Intel and mid teens for the Indi. Compared to 2mb/s(ish) for HDDs. Insanely fast.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 7, 2010, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Your looking at over 200MB/s reads for both in most situations. The numbers are so damn large that they are mind boggling.
In 4k chunks you are looking at mid 40s for the Intel and high 20's for the Indi drives. Compared to 1mb/s for a HDD. Insanely fast.

For writes you are looking at 100MB/s at most for the Intel and 150mb/s for Indi drives.
In 4k chunks you are looking at mid 40s for the Intel and mid teens for the Indi. Compared to 2mb/s(ish) for HDDs. Insanely fast.
I'm guessing there won't be much of a real world difference that I can see between em then?
In general terms, if I run more data intensive programs such as demanding games or video encoding, etc.
which might require access to larger sized files, it would benefit from higher reads for larger files?
And if I'm moving/installing large files/programs onto the SSD itself, larger write speeds would be more
beneficial? right?

What I'm getting here is that
Intel win = Running programs (Due to Great read speeds for both small and large files)
Vertex/Falcon win = Installing or writing files onto the SSD
Samsung 240T, 226BW

Watercooled by:
Old January 7, 2010, 05:22 PM

Honestly, unless you are into benchmarking and all that jazz you prolly would never notice the dif. I dont hear many people go "damn....this program took 2.25 seconds to load! I should only have taken 2.22!" They are fast. REALLY, really fast and under a certain amount of time, the differences do become for all intents and purposes moot. Unless you are doing something insanely intensive they are both real arse kickers. IF you need max IOPs the Intel does have a real tangible lead for everyone else....dont sweat the dif :)

One thing worth noting is the Intel is a power hog in comparison, so where this is going into a laptop the Indi's do have an energy savings advantage.

Old January 8, 2010, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

Completely off topic, but AkG, have you had the chance to look at the Falcon II s?
Interested in those ECO controllers, and 34nm flash combo.
Maybe, just maybe, they are more energy efficient
Samsung 240T, 226BW

Watercooled by:
Old January 8, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

more then what they already are?.
Old January 8, 2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERo View Post
Completely off topic, but AkG, have you had the chance to look at the Falcon II s?
Interested in those ECO controllers, and 34nm flash combo.
Maybe, just maybe, they are more energy efficient
I may...or may not....have one on my test bench right now.

There is no dif in power consumption. The 128 F1 uses .55 amp. The F2 128gb uses .55a as per its label.

The "eco" controller is a load of PR bollocks. The controller chip is stamped / labeled as a IDX110M01 so its just a new revision of the Barefoot controller. (The Original Falcon uses a IDX110M00 barefoot controller) Basically the eco revision can handle 34nm NAND and thats about the sum total of the dif. Speed is within 10 - 15% (depending on the test it could be less, not sure yet) of the original Falcon and this has more to do w/ the NAND G.Skill went with. Think of it as a GSkill "Agility" that has been upgraded with 34nm NAND and you wouldn't be too far off. ;)