Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What should I do ?

I have decided to build a computer for my father so that he stops complaining even tho he has no reasons to do it. In the process, I figured I might as well switch my Caviar Green for a Caviar Black, take my green use it as an external HD and take my external(which is small and older) and use it as my father's HDD.

Now, I was sure(not sure why), that my external was a Seagate 7200.10, but I found out it was a 7200.11. I've had it for a little more than a year, haven't had a single problem with it as an external HDD which is used very rarely. Now, I am hesitating to put this HD into my father's computer or should I put the green in it or something else ?

Is the whole hype about the 7200.11 failing 100% true or am I worried for nothing ? The main issue here is that my father already can't stand computers(he is verbally violent with them) and I think that a failing HDD would be a little too much for him (and me) to handle.

Edit: btw I just installed the Black in my computer and boy is it noisy, hopefully this will all die out, cuz I was used to silence.

Last edited by Kilauea; January 5, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old January 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They were failing between some date but unfortunately I can't remember them. You can contact seagate to see if your drive is in the dangerous batch they have always been open to answer this to me. If you are in the good one then they are pretty good and fast disk so use it, if you are in a risky game, I would ask them to RMA the disk even if he did not fail just to be sure. You can also turn the acoustic management on on your black, you will lose a bit of speed ( not critical ) but he will get more silent.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 5, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks a lot Martin, contacted them, they told me my drive is not affected (hope he's right). And the Black stop being excessively noisy without me doing anything, I will monitor it and use the acoustic management if anything happens.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:23 PM
MVP
F@H

If you dad has confrontations with his computer, whatever you end up doing, I'd recommend staying away from putting a green in as his OS drive. They're a bit slow for that purpose.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run an SSD, use windows 7, and install Win XP as a VM. If something doesn't work right he can double click a .bat file on the desktop and it'll restore the VM to original for him.