Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 10:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default DNS-323 and Window 7

I just sent this email to D-Link since I can't seem to be able to make the unit recognized on my network...

Quote:
I recently bought a storage unit DNS-323 and received the hard drives I'll be using with it today;

I proceed to put the 2 drives into the unit, power it up and plug it to my network through my computer. ( ** At that moment I'm mostly following the user's guide ** )

The first thing I see is that something is trying to connect to my network through 'Network and Sharing Center' in Window 7, but nothing seems to show up once I start D-Link Easy Search Utility, so I try to give the unit access to my network by adding its MAC ID to my router access restriction list but nothing changes.

Then I decide to look into the 'Network and Sharing Center' again and go into the properties of 'Local Area Connection' (which is the new one that appeared once I plugged the DNS-323 to my PC) > 'Sharing' options and check 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' which doesn't seems to work anyways because it only kills my connection so I disable this.

I tried to reach D-Link's phone Tech Support to get help with this but no luck; Once I reached an operator, the line got cut out of the blue...(actually happened twice...<_< )

It just seem the unit won't be recognized on my network and I don't know how to make it work...

The user's guide doesn't really help either
So anyone ever encountered these issues with a DNS-323 and was able to make it work? (or can help me to get it to work...)

*Note that I will be using 2 x Western Digital Green 500GB drives into the storage unit*

Thanks!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh the user guide is a complete piece of crap. What you need to do is find out (from the router) what IP address it gave your DNS 323. From there you can access the web gui interface and set it up.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd really like to find it but when I go into the DHCP Client Table into my router config. page, I can only see our 3 PC's + the VMware (FAH) IP's :(
Old January 4, 2010, 01:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Everything went like a charm once I plugged the unit on my router, just built my raid1, will try to connect it to my PC tho...

EDIT: Just won't work through my PC, so I'll leave it in the mech. room

EDIT 2 : I'll just have to buy some cat5 (~40 fts)and pass it into the walls, since my walls are still open (renovation) I'll just change my single switch for a double and be done with it ^^

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Lamb; January 4, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to hear it works. You can access them from windows (explorer not internet explorer) if you put in the ip address a certain way and then you can link them as network hard drives
Old January 4, 2010, 01:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Glad to hear it works. You can access them from windows (explorer not internet explorer) if you put in the ip address a certain way and then you can link them as network hard drives
Done already
Old January 5, 2010, 10:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

~50$ and ~40mins later it's sitting in my room silently