Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2010, 06:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OCZ is one of the few (IIRC on the terminology) a Tier 1 Indilinx partner. They prolly paid a ton of money to get this classification (IIRC they are one of only three in North America with it) and because of it they get first dibs on firmware and firmware options. Intel SSDs come with ITGC, but there has been no word on the TRIM firmware and whether or not Intel disabled it with the latest firmware. My guess is they do as it prolly causes the same issues Indilinx ran into.
Samsung recently released a TRIM update firmware for their drives so in a month or less (or more) the M28 will get an upgrade. Samsung controller SSDs also have ITGC built in but it is still a little slow to work when compared to Indilin's second try at it (i.e. 1.4.1).
The 1571 firmware for the original Falcon has the first gen ITGC in it. It is SLOW (slow as Samsung's), but will work in RAID.
Falcon 2 comes with 18xx already installed and there is no option for ITGC.
It is not the SSD at fault when it comes to RAID and TRIM. Its a case of the RAID controller not passing on the commands to the drives (and another issue or two). In the future we probably will see TRIM aware RAID options....but for now TRIM and RAID is hit or miss. So I wouldn't count on it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 5, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG;312284.
The 1571 firmware for the original Falcon has the first gen ITGC in it. It is SLOW (slow as Samsung's), [U
but will work in RAID[/U].
this is news to me you know a hell of a lot more about ssd's then me so i will take your word on it but if it was there it didn't work worth a crap. my drives slowed down anyway even though 1571 was faster then 1819.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

oh yeah gingerbee it is SLOW. For first gen ITGC you basically needed to log out to the log in screen and leave it over night! Luckily Indi and OCZ got it right with 1.4.1. Leave it idleing for a few minutes everyday and you are golden (even when reading a long ass page it will do some house cleaning).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 5, 2010, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the input guys!

AkG, you certainly know your stuff about SSD's kudo's to that

Well seeing as to whats been said it would probably be in my best interest to try and get a Vertex (which I wanted in the first place but wanted something cheaper lol). I just have to save up some more.

Gigabyte 890GX / AMD Phenom II x6 1055 / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB / EVGA GTX470 SC+ / Stock Cooling (Yet) / Corsair TX850 / Corsair Nova 128GB SSD / Antec 902/ Windows 7 PRO 64 bit/ 24" Acer LED Monitor