Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up Need Help with SSDs!

Hey HWCers! I bought parts for a new gaming rig recently, but now, im stuck on whether i should upgrade to an SSD, or stick with my old Western Digital 320GB Hard Drive. I'm leaning more towards the SSD because i want faster boot times, and quick game loading times. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! And in case anybody needs my system specs right now.

Asus M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 550BE @ Stock
G. Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333Mhz CL7 Memory
Sapphire HD 4890 1GB Graphic Card
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Suppy
320GB Western Digital 7200rpm Sata 2 hard drive (WD3200AAJS)
Current OS is XP Home, Upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate in a week

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by revixd; January 2, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:43 AM
Banned
F@H

what Os are you using ?
Old January 2, 2010, 11:48 AM
Rookie

my bad, forgot to list the OS. Im currently using XP home, but im upgrading to windows 7 ultimate soon
Old January 2, 2010, 11:53 AM
Banned
F@H

As I was very hesitant to buy a SSD, until I get the plunge, I can tell you it make a difference, but not as much as some pretend. I get a Intel one, very simple to install win windows 7, you have a good GPU, I think a SSD is your next logical step
Old January 2, 2010, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

From what I've been reading you're looking at two questions. How big and how fast? (all within your budget)

At around $200 (sale prices) you're looking at indilinx based ssd drives of 60-64GB in size. The current recommended vendor seems to be OCZ for their firmware support.

Getting closer to $300 you start looking at faster drives holding 60-64GB or the intel x25-m at 80GB.

Over $400 you start looking at 120-128GB capacity indilinx drives or start considering raid based setups. If raid is something your comfortable with you put 2 or more smaller capacity drives in RAID 0 (striping). That gives you increased speed and more capacity. Firmware becomes more of an issue with raid though since you lose Trim support. (I'm a little vague you can do some things but it depends on the drive).

Getting over $500 you start getting to whatever makes you happy. You can pick a single 160GB intel drive various high performance 60GB drives in Raid 0 or some high performance single 120GB drives.

There is a sort of iffy option with 2 Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB in raid 0 for 80GB at $200. (and only the 40GB capacity drives the rest of the Kingston drives are bad) There are also Samsung based ssd's that let you trade off performance for cost. That isn't recommended though.

Remember you lose some space to formatting and ~10GB to your windows install.

So the question is How Big and How Fast?

Last edited by joeperson; January 2, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

intel/indilinx are your chooses for Os and installes and get another drive for your data. it works very well for any client that asks me for an ssd that's how i get them setup.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:44 PM
Rookie

okay, so now, im confirmed to go with SSDs. However, i just need to find the right one. I don't really need something thats huge in memory. Something along the lines of 32GB is enough. I just want to put windows on it, possibly one game like crysis. There's a guy on RFD selling his SSD Raid 0 configuration. Its two Imation 7000 (SLC) 16GB drives. Around 220MB/Sec read, and 200MB/Sec write running in RAid 0. He's selling it for 100$, which is pretty good for the performance. Any recommendations? Should i get that? or something like the Kingston SSDnow V series? I'm aiming for the best bang for the buck. :)
Old January 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
Banned
F@H

[quote=joeperson;311062]...... The current recommended vendor seems to be OCZ for their firmware support.
.quote]

I make some research before buy my Intel, reading hundreds of pages of OCZ forum ( as the company is to cheap to make their own support ) to know witch firmware to use and how to use it is not what I call recommended
Old January 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

There is a reason he is selling them and getting better: they stink. Sequential speed is NOT a good benchmark to use when picking an SSD. Best bang for your buck SSDs right now are: Kingston 40gb SSDNow V (the rest suck), the G.Skill Falcon 2, OCZ Agility. Any of these three would be good choices. My pick would be the Agility for single non raid setups, and a pair of Kingston 40GB V's for Raid setups. I'm with gingerbee and strongly recommend you keep your OS and main applications on the SSD, and games and other data on a fast HDD (WD 640 black are cheap and good, or your 320 if money is tight).

The funny thing about using SSDs is you dont realize how fast they make your system until you use a comparable system without an SSD (even my i7 + VelociRaptor system feels slow in comparison to my q9450 + SSD system). THEN you know how big of an improvement they are! :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post

I make some research before buy my Intel, reading hundreds of pages of OCZ forum ( as the company is to cheap to make their own support ) to know witch firmware to use and how to use it is not what I call recommended
Sorry dude but that is a load FUD. You dont have to do jack research w/ OCZ Vertex. Drop the latest fw on it and away you go. IF you want to squeeze MORE out of your OCZ Vertex then yes the highly active forum over on OCZ will help you out (merits of ITGC vs TRIM come to mind). Compare and contrast this to Intel who are being less than helpful on the firmware end of things, just screwed over all their Gen 1 buyers, don't have official forum (nor really any support except "RMA it"), etc etc and I'll take OCZ over Intel anyday (at least this gen of drives).

OCZ were one of the first to get a TRIM capable SSD firmware out. They listen to their customers when they said they wanted ITGC options and GAVE it to them! This commitment to customer service is why OCZ is head and shoulders above the rest.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 2, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Tags
hard drive , solid state drive , ssd