Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The funny thing about using SSDs is you dont realize how fast they make your system until you use a comparable system without an SSD (even my i7 + VelociRaptor system feels slow in comparison to my q9450 + SSD system). THEN you know how big of an improvement they are! :)
As so many thing.... I was always using 10$ mouse, since Xmas I use a Raser and a Ikari , I found my other pc with regular mouse very not responding ....... for the SSD, it`s very quick on opening Windows, you enter the password, and voila ready to work ... but the Photoshop is still way to long to open
Old January 2, 2010, 02:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
but the Photoshop is still way to long to open
LOL, I know eactly what you mean! Adobe is bloatware at its worst. This is why I use it as one of my benchmarks in my SSD/HDD reviews :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Best bang for your buck SSDs right now are: Kingston 40gb SSDNow V (the rest suck), the G.Skill Falcon 2, OCZ Agility. Any of these three would be good choices. My pick would be the Agility for single non raid setups, and a pair of Kingston 40GB V's for Raid setups.
For the SSDnow V series, wouldn't it be better to get the 64GB one from Canadacomputers? Its 125$ compared to the 40GB at 113$.
Old January 2, 2010, 02:18 PM

Nope. The 40GB is a cutdown Intel X25-M gen 2 drive. ALL the other sized V's (like the 64GB) are JMicron crap. IIRC their V+ line is Samsung so its also decent.
Here is my review of it:
Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Review

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 2, 2010, 02:29 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Sorry dude but that is a load FUD. You dont have to do jack research w/ OCZ Vertex. .....
See AKG is the reason why I buy a SSD, he make it so simple..

but the reason I post that thing about OCZ, is because no one before explain me that. for what I read here, and other place to use a OCZ you have to use this firmware, or better this one, and this one need a jumper, this one not....

it's where start all the confusion. Still think OCZ should have some support instead to refer to the forum , as for Intel, what you want they have never be very supportive for their old product, buy a new one is their philosophy , you can see it weel in their ICC ,
Old January 2, 2010, 02:34 PM
Rookie

okay, so i just read the reviews, and everything is pointing towards the kingston SSD. However, im still confused about the write speed... why is it so damn slow? How will it affect my system in the real world? Also, do you know where i can get the cheapest 40gb model?
Old January 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the limit is because it only has 5 channels not 10 like it's intel cousin. look at the 4k Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Review

here Search Results for 40gb kingston SSD - Powered by PriceCanada.com
Old January 2, 2010, 02:42 PM

Its slow because it only has half the number of chips on it. OS and applications load speed (or how fast a system "feels") depends heavily on small 4k read and write speed & Latency (strong points of SSDs over HDDs). Will it limit you? Yes it will when compared against Vertex, X25-M gen2, etc etc. BUT when you are going from an older hdd you may not notice this reduction as it should STILL feel faster than your old system.

Like I said for single drive solutions go Agility or Falcon 2. OR take the risk on the V 40GB and if it doesnt work out....drop a 2nd one in for a "poor man's" 80GB X25-M gen 2 :)~

Old January 2, 2010, 02:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:

OCZ were one of the first to get a TRIM capable SSD firmware out. They listen to their customers when they said they wanted ITGC options and GAVE it to them! This commitment to customer service is why OCZ is head and shoulders above the rest.

YMMV
This is why I try to suggest OCZ drives as much as I can. Very active support which is really appreciated by all the early adopters of this technology. Just bought an Intel Gen.2 SSD and while happy with the purchase, wished there were sensible prices on the 120GB Vertex instead.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Default just bought one

I just got the OCZ Vertex 60GB that was on sale for $219 plus $20 mail in rebate.

It seems to be running very nicely with Windows 7 64bit.

Tags
hard drive , solid state drive , ssd