Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For peeps who want EVERY bit of performance its an option but Im not a fond lover of it. For many people who purchase an SSD it will be awhile before they upgrade and thus its not a great way of doing things. One thing worth noting about the OCZ forum is it populated by SSD enthusiasts who will be on to the next big thing loooong before they prematurely wear out a drive. Great place for information and tips and tricks....but their idea of reasonable wear and tear may vary a lot from yours ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 6, 2010, 01:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
yes your ahci/raid drivers there normally the same drivers load the ahci drivers then reboot and on reboot set your sata ports to ahci then you should be able to boot just fine.
Can I install these driver from Windows, because when I tried I got a message that my systeme doesn't have the minimum requirements for such and installation....

Old January 6, 2010, 01:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums
Old January 7, 2010, 07:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the info but I have decided to do a full reinstall, a bit longer for sure but anyways I'll know how to do it the next time.

Old January 7, 2010, 07:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

oups double post

Old January 9, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
For peeps who want EVERY bit of performance its an option but Im not a fond lover of it. For many people who purchase an SSD it will be awhile before they upgrade and thus its not a great way of doing things. One thing worth noting about the OCZ forum is it populated by SSD enthusiasts who will be on to the next big thing loooong before they prematurely wear out a drive. Great place for information and tips and tricks....but their idea of reasonable wear and tear may vary a lot from yours ;)
by how much does it decrease the life of your drive by? I do want maximum performance out of my old drive to match my new one, so it doesn't slow down the raid.

I'm leaning towards flashing to 1.4.1 -> wiper.exe -> reformat to windows 7 -> itgc

EDIT: i also forgot, i tried searching for this, but when i run raid, I need to switch my bios to raid from IDE. Will i still be able to access the information on my secondary harddrives? I'm pretty sure I will (I think i've done it before, but I can't remember) but its better to be safe than sorry

Last edited by Phobia; January 9, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old January 9, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

How much life decrease will doing a sani wipe once?....not much (its cumulative). If you want to make sure they are in peak performance, do it once before you setup your raid, and then run ITGC firmware on them. The increased cell life reduction will be minuscule in the grand shceme of things.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 9, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

perfect. thank you sir!
Old January 10, 2010, 01:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am glad I purchased this drive, I can certainly see a difference and this specifically in application load time, it is quick.