Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF you are running fw 1.4 (i.e. the TRIM firmware) there is no need to run the wiper program and in fact doing so does increase the chances (from zero to above zero ;) ) of getting data corruption. Wiper.exe was a interim work-around until they could get real TRIM into their firmware.

If you are not running a TRIM aware OS (like XP for example) or Raid'ing them you are much better off running 1.4.1. ITGC was turned off in 1.4 as it could potential cause problems w/ TRIM (and vice versa).

Now with that said 1.4.1 + Wiper.exe is a great combo. Guaranteed to get the best performance all the time.

YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 31, 2009, 12:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Now with that said 1.4.1 + Wiper.exe is a great combo. Guaranteed to get the best performance all the time.
I don't bother with that wiper thing. To restore speed, I make a full W7 backup image on one of my mechanical HDs and then I perform a sanitary erase on my Vertex drives. Then, I restore from the W7 image. That seems to give me 99% new performance.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old December 31, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
I perform a sanitary erase on my Vertex drives.
how? and i am pretty sure that wiper would be a better idea no? cause what i think your doing is writing to all blocks where wiper just tells (the controller or the os not sure) what blocks are free. because writing to all blocks help kill it quicker no? thank for any info
Old December 31, 2009, 02:55 PM

That is certainly one way of doing it OversizedRooster. Of course it is also one of the fastest ways to burn out your SSD that I have heard of in a long while. TRIM/ITGC/Wiper.exe just refreshen cells which are in a used stated but not being used (i.e. contain invalid data). The way you are doing it is a full complete drive refresh. Intel recommended doing it that way because that is all they could think to do and didnt want to implement a wiper.exe type workaround. It is hard on the cells and basically decreases the cell life by 1 every time you do it.

YMMV but I wouldn't do it that way. Either use 1.41 and rely on ITGC (which is what I do) or use 1.4 and let the OS deal with it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

interesting about the sanitary wipe.. i was going to preform that on my drive when i set up my raid. What method should i use to restore my vertex that i'm using now? I've got xp on it and its got 1.25 firmware on it (althoguh i'm not 100% sure that's what its called, as I'm posting this from a hotel in LA). I know it can be flashed though. I plan on flashing them to 1.4.1.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just use ocz wiper tool it works great. even on my a-data's ( that are indilinx )
Old January 3, 2010, 02:49 PM

If you plan on using ITGC 1.4.1. let it idle for a hour or three (depends on how badly degraded it is) at the desktop, no need to log out or anything like that. It will take care of itslef ;)
OR after you upgrade to 1.4.1 run wiper.exe it will refreshen the cells for you. :)

Old January 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
For TRIM to work some are saying you will need AHCI enabled in the BIOS. I would error on the side of caution and use this instead of IDE mode. Not much dif between IDE and AHCI mode so might as well be safe. ;)
Ok you are saying that in the BIOS I should set the device to AHCI just to make sure that TRIM works ?

I've never done that before but just changing it in the bios seems to cause a problem and my computer refuses to boot. It's there something that should be installed before doing this like drivers or some such ?

Old January 6, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes your ahci/raid drivers there normally the same drivers load the ahci drivers then reboot and on reboot set your sata ports to ahci then you should be able to boot just fine.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
That is certainly one way of doing it OversizedRooster. Of course it is also one of the fastest ways to burn out your SSD that I have heard of in a long while. TRIM/ITGC/Wiper.exe just refreshen cells which are in a used stated but not being used (i.e. contain invalid data). The way you are doing it is a full complete drive refresh. Intel recommended doing it that way because that is all they could think to do and didnt want to implement a wiper.exe type workaround. It is hard on the cells and basically decreases the cell life by 1 every time you do it.

YMMV but I wouldn't do it that way. Either use 1.41 and rely on ITGC (which is what I do) or use 1.4 and let the OS deal with it.
You make a fair point that sanitary wipe "wears out" the drive faster but I don't care because I intend on moving to dual Intel drives or dual Vertex 2 Pro drives in a few months. I've only done sanitary erase twice in the drives' life times. I like it because it's instant so no waiting and it brings back 99% or more of the "new" performance.

Actually the sanitary erase method was recommended to me by a moderator on the OCZ forums and this method is apparently popular for many users.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit