Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default OCZ Solid info?

My searching skills seem to be lacking. Canada Computers has an OCZ Solid 60GB for $109.99 + $30 MIR for boxing day which I want to get as a first SSD. I know Solid isn't near the top end, but I was wondering if anybody knows if it has any well known issues? A well, I can't figure out what controller it has.
Any other info is great, and as always thanks HWC for filling my brain with knowledge!
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 24, 2009, 08:03 PM

My System Specs

JMicron JM602. Chances are you will get stuttering on this drive as the has horrible small file write performance.
Old December 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You really, really, really want to avoid the JMicron 602s.
Old December 24, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Poop, scratch that then. Looks like no SSD for me this year.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 24, 2009, 10:10 PM

My System Specs

You know you could grab the Solid SSD and install MFT. Managed Flash Technology

It is software that converts all random writes into sequential writes. It won't do anything for your random reads though. But it should eliminate most of the stutters. The thing is that it can't be used for the boot volume. You can use their migration assistant to most stuff off the windows partition. Then install all your applications on the 2nd partiton which has MFT.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
Rookie

your best bet is to get a vertex its the BEST price/performance ssd out there
Old December 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenianLegend View Post
your best bet is to get a vertex its the BEST price/performance ssd out there
Not any more....actually they havent been the best bag for your buck ssds for awhile now. Best bang for your buck is either the Agility or the Kingston SSDNow V 40GB. Vertex is better in performance....but not price to performance ratio. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I went out and bought 2 of these just cause they were cheap and I was curious.
I'm running them in Raid 0 and not having any issues, although I did after awhile start to notice a slight slowdown, but only in benchmarks and such nothing I could see with the naked eye. I keep a close eye on OCZ's SSD V1 forums and recently someone posted this: Guide For those in raid, or those who just want a drive with consolidated free space and clean Nand...bring on TONY-TRIM - OCZ Forum

He's calling it Tony-Trim LOL
I gave it a shot and it worked, performance went right back to what it was upon purchase. I always used perfectdisk before owning an SSD and uninstalled it upon buying them, now I have it back on and setup the way its stated there, its only been about a week now, but it seems to be working well.
Trim for V1 SSD? sorta ;)
This way it also allows it to work in Raid....maybe even something to look at for the later SSD's.
I'm really not knowledgable enough to say a whole lot about it, just that it seems to be working for me, maybe Akg could give us insight?
Old January 15, 2010, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

lol...Tony-Trim - Tony gets to play with hardware before it is released and get paid...lucky guy. Glad it worked.

Are you using another SSD to back-up your raid or is this necessary with SSD?
Old January 15, 2010, 08:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
lol...Tony-Trim - Tony gets to play with hardware before it is released and get paid...lucky guy. Glad it worked.

Are you using another SSD to back-up your raid or is this necessary with SSD?
No, I'm not.
I actually only recently discovered Win7 has a disk image feature, so I use that to backup my system every now and again.
I've found the raid is actually very versatile. I was able to update my bios (using my onboard raid) and I thought for sure I was going to have to use my acronis image, but I setup the raid with the same settings and it booted into win7 to my delight :)