Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2009, 12:55 PM
MVP

Default HD on the way out?

First I thought it was the controller board on my enclosure, but I bought a USB HD docking station and its doing the same thing. When I try to transfer a file, it gets about half way and the red indicator light for hd activity freezes and my HD is no longer detected. When I restart the drive my OS finds the drive no problem, but when I try to transfer the file again, the same thing happens. The HD locks up and is no longer detected.

Could it be dying or a bad sector on the hd?

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old December 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Sounds like the HD packed it in. I would first suggest running Spinrite to confirm though.
Old December 19, 2009, 04:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
Sounds like the HD packed it in. I would first suggest running Spinrite to confirm though.
+1. I actually had a drive that did the same thing with file transfers. Had no clue what it was but I just didn't trust ANY data on it anymore. Backed up as much as I could and just grabbed a new drive.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
MVP

Well it turns out the drive is fine. I tried the drive with a HD dock on another computer and it transfered files with no problems. I was reading that with external HD's that use USB, sometimes the power to the USB is inadequate and thus files do not transfer properly. It has to be the USB hub I use. I guess it is not getting enough power supplied to it.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."