Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 04:57 AM
Banned
F@H

so you did what I said , exept it's not an Intel. I have no experience with AMD raid, but when you build a raid, you back up the data in a third drive, build the aray, reinstall windows, and after you bring back the data, building a raid like you did will destroy the partition and the data on the drive. In the raid bios you have a warning about it.
Old December 20, 2009, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

um markone he did it the way your supposed to do i am not use to amd raid it's been awhile. he setup raid1 it should have copyed the data from the first hd to the second and then reboot. it's been awhile fro me to setup raid1 but my understanding is you can set it up from within the OS so all data is not lost.
but if your drive is corrupted then without if you can plug it into another computer and dig through the os files and pull off you data then start from fresh. i think it might have corrputed when you tried to setup the raid.

Last edited by gingerbee; December 20, 2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old December 20, 2009, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
I did use a new drive with an existing one, but it's AMD not intel.
I changed the storage settings in BIOS from IDE to RAID, then opened up the AMD RAID manager. In there I created the RAID 1 array, then went back into BIOS and set the boot priority to the RAID array. From there it went to my last post.

So does anyone know how to recover data from a corrupted partition?
ya i missed that before it should have asked you before hand that will remove all data it resets the the drive to the raid setup
Old December 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect

Isn't the whole point of RAID 1 to mirror two drives, then if one drive breaks, you can replace it and set up RAID 1 again? Shouldn't it have just copied my main drive onto the secondary?

And there was a fast initialization option in the RAID setup that would have wiped the drives, but I didn't pick that so at no point was there any time it should have wiped data, and I never recieved any warnign.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
Banned
F@H

ya you can replace a disk in case of failure, you just go in the raid bios an add the disk in the raid aray and rebuild the mirror, but first to use a raid both disk have to be set as raid. in your case your os disk was not set as raid
Old December 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

know see this has me confused . I thought you could just set it up the OS. but that maybe only for storage raid1. like i said i don't use raid1 a lot.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
know see this has me confused . I thought you could just set it up the OS. but that maybe only for storage raid1. like i said i don't use raid1 a lot.

when you do it in the disk management, you transform the disk in dynamic one , and then you can make a mirror or a stripe , those disk remain non-raid one. ( software raid ) the one you do with the motherboard raid option are real raid , control by the OS ( semi hardware raid ) , the one you do with a controler card are also real raid but not control by the OS ( they are the real hardware raid )

it's short as explainations, I know. and I may be not using the real therms, but it's something like that
Old December 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so your saying he you can't setup raid1 after your os install it has to be done before. only raid for storage can be done within the os. well that kinda sucks know i now why i don't use raid1 that much ( good luck to the op if i think of anything i will tell you)
Old December 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
Banned
F@H

raid was design first for server. the best practice for server is to the os on a disk, and the data on a raid 5 controlled by is own controler. some time you will see the OS on raid 1 and the data on raid 5

it's what I like so much of Windows Home Server, he does not create mirror, he duplicate the files on an other disk, you can remove those disk anytime in case of failure and use them in a regular system.