Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Review Comment Thread

It seems like everywhere we look, SSDs are increasing in capacity while very little downwards movement has been made when it comes to pricing. Kingston on the other hand is now offering their new Intel-based SSDNow V-Series 40GB units at a bargain price for people who are looking to add some performance to their systems. Let's see how this drive performs.

You can find the review here: Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Review
Old December 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good bang for buck but for the price i would go any 30gb indilinx before this
Old December 17, 2009, 07:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The sequential write would make program installing unbearable methinks.
Old December 17, 2009, 08:05 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
The sequential write would make program installing unbearable methinks.
Most programs are likely limited somewhere else. Whether it be from an optical disk or a bunch of small files. I am confident this drive would still be able to install most applications much quicker than any mechanical drive.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Most programs are likely limited somewhere else. Whether it be from an optical disk or a bunch of small files. I am confident this drive would still be able to install most applications much quicker than any mechanical drive.
Definitely faster than mechanical drives, but I imagine some company out there is planning to release an SSD to compete at this price range post-haste. A cheap Indilinx would be nice to see.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they did. NCIX.com - Buy Patriot PS32GS25SSDR PS-100 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 Year MFR Warranty - PS32GS25SSDR In Canada.
Patriot PS-100 32GB SSD Review | ServeTheHome.com
Old December 18, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

While I don't have one to test....I would pick up a SSDNow 40GB over that PS100 in a heart beat. The small write speeds of that Patriot drive are rumored to be in the 1mb range and the latency is also rumored to be down right atrocious (I've read reviews of it getting +1ms latency).

The SSDNow cant compete in many ways against the big boys, BUT for the price of two of them you would end up with a killer raid "boot drive" on the "cheap".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 18, 2009, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
While I don't have one to test....I would pick up a SSDNow 40GB over that PS100 in a heart beat. The small write speeds of that Patriot drive are rumored to be in the 1mb range and the latency is also rumored to be down right atrocious (I've read reviews of it getting +1ms latency).

The SSDNow cant compete in many ways against the big boys, BUT for the price of two of them you would end up with a killer raid "boot drive" on the "cheap".
oh hell i completely agree but it's got the right price ( 100$) tag so i can pretty much bet that it will sell everyone and there mother has been waiting for them to get to this price and they can't be slower the teh warp v2 series which make hd seem slow so i see a bright future for this drive. I would not buy 1 because i already have 1 warp left. and going raid just spend a little bit more ( like 20$ ) and you can get much better performance ( indilinx ) my a-data's get 150mb/s write know that's impressive hell they average 140
Old December 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
Rookie
F@H

So where can I get it for $112, preferably in stock?

TIA
Old December 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Memory House has it for $115: Buy Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive